On this page
Report a donation bin problem
We will respond within two business days.
Common concerns about donation bins include illegal dumping, graffiti, damage, misleading signs and/or placing a donation bin on a property without permission.
Licensing donation bins
Donation bins must be licensed by the City of Guelph. According to the City’s business licensing bylaw, the City can:
- remove unlicensed donation bins
- issue fines for unlicensed donation bins
- require the licensed operator to maintenance or repair the box and/or the area around it
To get a licence, donation bin/box operators need to:
- get the property owner’s permission to place the bin
- meet Guelph’s zoning bylaw
- clearly identify who owns the bon, and indicate whether the operator is not-for-profit or for-profit organization
- maintain adequate insurance
- maintain and/or repair bins routinely
- demonstrate that bins will not cause safety concerns or affect pedestrian access