Our recreation programs and leisure activities are accessible and inclusive to everyone!
The One2One Support program matches community volunteers/staff with individuals living with a diagnosed physical, medical, and/or developmental disability, and who require assistance to participate in a City of Guelph recreation program.
- Provide a safe environment
- Provide challenges for the participant and volunteer
- Encourage participation
- Provide activities of interest
- Provide opportunity to practice and develop skills
- Create and implement activities that lead to the physical, mental and psychological growth of the participant
- Offer activities for which there are few opportunities in everyday life
- Give participants the opportunity to meet new friends
- Allow participants to express themselves creatively and freely
- Promote an understanding of differing levels of ability among a participant’s peers
- Develop a sense of independence
- Have fun
Assessing a participant’s need for support
- Is extra support required at school?
- Is extra help needed at home for basic care?
- Is there a diagnosed physical, medical, and/or developmental disability that could affect the safety of the participant or other participants?
- Does the participant belong to a support agency?
How do I register?
If you require One2One Support in a City of Guelph recreation program or camp, please register for One2One Support in addition to your program registration.
- Register in a recreation program/camp
- Register for your One2One Support using the applicable barcode:
- 200874 for spring programs (General Interest and Aquatics)
- 200895 for summer programs (General Interest and Aquatics)
- A City of Guelph staff member will be in contact with you about One2One Support
- Every effort is made to provide support to participants with disabilities either through staff, volunteers, and/or the use of adaptive equipment. Support is based on available resources and is not guaranteed.
- If support is unavailable through the City of Guelph, participants may provide their own support person to assist. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-822-1260 extension 2606 if outside support will be attending a program.
- One2One volunteers do not provide personal care in the change room/washroom.