Garbage and recycling – frequently asked questions

View frequently asked questions about the Cart Program

Can I put large items, like a fridge, at the curb for pick-up on collection day?

Large items are not collected as part of the regular curbside collection program however there is a Bulky Item Collection Program in place that allows large items to be picked up at the curb for a fee.

Please check out the Bulky Item Collection Program for details.

How do I recycle my appliances?

Appliances are recycled through one of two ways:

How do I dispose of Halloween pumpkins?

  • Pumpkins can be chopped up and placed in your backyard composter.
  • Pumpkins can also be chopped up and placed in your green cart.
  • Whole pumpkins can be placed at the curb on your collection day during yard waste week.

Are election signs recyclable? If so, how do I recycle them?

Yes, coroplast election signs are recyclable. Candidates have two options for recycling election signs;

  • Small quantities can be put in your blue cart and placed at the curb for regular curbside collection
  • Large quantities can be brought directly to the Waste Resource Innovation Centre. Please contact Phil Zigby, Marketing and Procurement Coordinator, at 519-767-0598 x2056 or any member of the Solid Waste Resources management team before your arrival to make the necessary arrangements.

What happens to your recyclables?

  • Newspaper is reprocessed and made into newsprint, magazines, flyers, catalogues and phone books.
  • Cardboard is reprocessed and made into new cardboard, brown paper towels or kraft paper bags.
  • Boxboard and phone books are reprocessed and made into new boxboard, egg cartons, manilla envelopes, file folders, paper take-out trays and used in hydroseeding.
  • Fine paper is reprocessed and made into toilet and facial tissue.
  • Steel is smelted and made into new steel to make new food containers, automobiles and steel products.
  • Aluminum is smelted and made into new aluminum to make pop cans.
  • Plastic pop bottles are melted and made into carpets and fibre stuffing for clothing.
  • Vinegar and javex bottles are melted and made into motor oil bottles, solvent bottles, dishwashing soap bottles, liquid laundry soap bottles and new bleach containers.
  • Laundry baskets, margarine tubs and ketchup bottles are made into plastic skids, plastic lumber, septic tanks liners, truck boxliners and drainage pipes.
  • Scrap metal is smelted into steel to make cars, toasters and other steel products.

Where do I put my green, blue and grey during the winter?

During the winter months, carts can be hidden by snow and snowbanks.

Please place carts for collection in the mouth of your driveway or on a safe shoveled spot, free from snow. Carts can be placed behind the windrow.

Carts placed on top of snowbanks will not be collected.

Where do I take wood waste?

Wood waste as well as construction and demolition material does not go in the Grey Cart. This material can be taken to the Waste Resource Innovation Centre Public Drop-off Facility located at 110 Dunlop Drive, Gate 2. Residents are responsible for disposal fees.

How should I dispose of pet waste in my green bag?

Learn what to do with your pet waste once you switch to cart collection. After the page opens, please click on the Household using carts tab.

How should I dispose of sharp objects?

When throwing out sharp items (e.g. broken glass, non-fluorescent light bulbs, razors, blades, mirrors and knives) please keep the safety of your family and collection staff in mind.

Place all sharp objects in a cardboard box no larger than 2 feet in any direction, tape securely and write “SHARP OBJECTS” on the box. Place the box in your grey cart for safe pick up.

Medical needles and lancets must be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot, 110 Dunlop Dr.

What’s the proper way to dispose of sod?

Sod can be disposed of at the Waste Resources Innovation Centre. The tipping fee for sod is available at Residential Tipping Fees.

Isn’t Sod Considered Yard Waste? No. Yard waste is defined as “grass clippings including thatch, leaves, and bundled brush, and branches and tree limbs having a diameter not greater than 5 cm, hedge trimmings, and all woody plants including vines, rose bushes and the like.”

Yard waste can be composted, where the material breaks down resulting in a nutrient rich soil additive. Sod is considered a different material type. Sod is comprised mainly of soil.

What can I do with my old cell phone if it still works?

First, ensure that you have removed all personal information from your old phone. Please refer to the Take It Back directory for a list of locations that accept cell phones for recycling.

Can shredded paper be included in my blue bag for curbside collection?

Shredded paper can be accepted as part of your blue cart curbside collection – but please remember to place shredded paper its own blue bag separate from other recyclables. Please place shredded paper in a separate blue bag, inside your blue cart. An alternative to shredding is to use a black permanent marker to cover up important personal information on documents such as names and account information

Last Updated: July 10, 2015. Broken links or incorrect information? Let us know!