The City is reviewing and updating the commercial policies in the Official Plan. The policies guide the location, amount and function of retail and service land throughout Guelph.
The commercial policy review will:
- update the commercial policies to reflect recent changes in the retail market;
- ensure the amount, location and type of commercial land designated in Guelph matches the projected growth needs for 2031 and provides the basis to meet the needs for 2041
- address the role, type and amount of commercial space in the Downtown, community mixed-use nodes (e.g. Starwood Drive/Watson Parkway), intensification corridors (e.g. York Road) and service commercial designations (e.g. fast-food, repair and service shops, auto sales, building supply, etc.); and
- consider second storey commercial space in the Downtown, community mixed-use nodes and intensification corridors.
The project will be completed in three stages.
Market analysis and background consisting of a supply and demand study.
Policy review and development of:
- commercial principles,
- policy framework alternatives,
- a preferred commercial policy framework, and
- recommendations for the City’s Official Plan policy and zoning bylaw to implement the preferred framework.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference (TOR) for the Commercial Policy Review was approved by City Council on November 28, 2016.
About the existing commercial policy
The commercial policy structure contained in the City of Guelph Official Plan was established in 2006 and builds on Downtown as the most important commercial multi-function centre. The commercial policy structure was expanded to include mixed-use nodes (e.g. Paisley/Imperial and Clair/Gordon) and intensification areas (e.g. Stone Road, Gordon Street) as the planned locations for large concentrations of retail, service and community uses. Smaller commercial areas such as neighbourhood commercial centres and service commercial areas are planned throughout Guelph.
For more information
Joan Jylanne, Senior Policy Planner
519-822-1260 extension 2519