Making a claim

Any party wishing to make a claim against the City must do so in writing.

You may find it useful to use the Claims Form in order to ensure all the necessary information concerning the claim is captured.

Your written notice of claim must contain the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • The contact name, mailing address, e-mail, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim – if different from above;
  • The date, approximate time of the incident and exact location (address or closest intersection);
  • A brief description of what happened;
  • The type of damage or injury;
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known)

In the case of claims for injury on a road or sidewalk, notice of the claim must be provided to the City within 10 days of the accident/incident pursuant to Section 44(10) of the Municipal Act.

Submitting a claim

Your claim can be submitted the following ways:


Risk Management
1 Carden Street
Guelph, Ontario
N1H 3A1



Response time

Risk Management will acknowledge receipt of your claim as soon as possible. An investigation into your loss will be completed by either Risk Management or an independent insurance adjuster. Please note that it may take several weeks to complete an investigation. Once the investigation is complete Risk Management or the independent insurance adjuster will follow up with you on the City’s position.


If the City agrees to cover your claim you will need to provide invoices/receipts to support the amount of damage claimed.

Fraudulent claims

Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers. The City will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.


If you have any further questions about the claims process, please contact us at 519-822-1260 or e-mail us at