If the item still has some life in it, visit the Guelph Waste Wizard for a listing of local reuse programs, or participate in a Goods Exchange Weekend. If the item has reached the end of its lifecycle, you can make arrangements to have it picked up at the curb, through the City’s large Item Collection Program.
Large Item Collection Program
The Large Item Collection Program offers pick up of large household items at the curb, year-round, for a fee.
Large items such as appliances (doors and lids removed for safety reasons), metal goods (e.g. lawnmower, wheelbarrow, BBQ), furniture, and mattresses can be collected at the curb through the large Item Collection Program.
Note: large item pickups are scheduled for the next available garbage (grey cart) collection day for the address requiring a pickup.
Large item fees
- Large items: $35+HST for one item and $27+HST for each additional item
- As of January 1, 2019, ·registered retailers and other businesses will collect used tires. The City will no longer be funded for collecting used tires and will no longer collect them as of January 1, 2019. Find out where you can drop off your used tires.
- Yard waste (up to 10 bags) or Christmas tree: $35+HST flat rate, $2+HST for each additional bag – exempt during spring and fall yard waste collection program dates.
- Surcharge for appliances requiring refrigerant/CFC pumpdown (e.g. fridge, freezer, dehumidifier, air conditioner, water cooler): $17.70+HST each
Note: All large item sales are final and non-refundable.
How do I arrange for curbside large item pickup? Follow these simple steps:
- Purchase a large item ticket at one of the locations listed below or call 519-767-0598 to pay over the phone.
- Schedule a pickup date by calling the Waste Resource Innovation Centre at 519-767-0598 (please have your purchased ticket on hand)
- Have your large item(s) at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on the specified day
Where can I purchase a large item ticket?
Waste Resource Innovation Centre
110 Dunlop Drive
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Payments can be received over the phone by calling 519-767-0598
City Hall (ServiceGuelph)
1 Carden Street
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(July and August until 4 p.m.)
Note: Wait times are always shorter mid-month. Save yourself time by avoiding the end-of–month lineup.
Evergreen Seniors Community Centre
683 Woolwich Street
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sunday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
West End Community Centre
21 Imperial Road South
Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Victoria Road Recreation Centre
151 Victoria Road North
Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Accepted methods of payment: Cash, Interac, Mastercard and Visa. No cheques will be accepted.
Just a reminder…
The City of Guelph’s residential curbside waste collection program does not include pickup of large items. Large items that are left at the curb without a large Item ticket are subject to enforcement under the Waste Management By-law, and you can be fined or charged a clean-up fee.
Guelph’s Waste Wizard provides a convenient, one-stop source of information for residents looking to get rid of unwanted items. The wizard connects residents to businesses and organizations that will reuse, recycle, or safely dispose of unwanted materials.
Goods Exchange Weekend
Goods Exchange Weekends are a great opportunity to exchange reusable household items, such as furniture, appliances, and toys — for free! Participating in this community re-use event is easy.
For more information
Solid Waste Resources