Guelph, Ont., November 4, 2021 – The City is flushing water mains in the Old University area of Guelph starting Wednesday, November 10. Maintenance is done during the day, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., in designated areas.
The City expects to finish water main flushing by November 12 at 5 p.m. During this work, your water pressure will not be affected.
What to expect
- Residents will get a delivered notice the week of scheduled maintenance, and signs will be posted in affected neighbourhoods (where access is permitted).
- During the flushing, you may experience noise from City vehicles and equipment near key fire hydrants.
- Tap water should not be used during maintenance. Store needed tap water in pots, jugs or your bathtub before maintenance starts.
- Water may appear discoloured during flushing.
- No chemicals are used in water main maintenance. Flushing and water pressure are used to clean water mains.
Drinking small amounts of discoloured water is unlikely to cause health issues, however, the City recommends running a cold water tap for five to fifteen minutes to clear discoloured water before drinking or doing laundry.
Why we clean water mains
Water main cleaning removes the buildup of natural minerals including iron and manganese and reduces the chance that water will be discoloured.
For more information