Minor water interruptions mean fresher water for Guelph
The City will begin cleaning water mains in selected areas of Guelph starting Monday, April 12. Cleaning will take place between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
The City aims to complete all water main cleaning activities by Thursday, April 29.
What to expect
- Businesses in areas where water mains are being cleaned will receive a notice 2-3 weeks in advance and follow-up phone call several days before cleaning starts on their street.
- Residents will receive a notice approximately 1 week before cleaning is scheduled and a reminder notice on their door (where access is permitted) 36-48 hours before cleaning starts on their street.
- Tap water should not be used during cleaning times. Store tap water in pots, jugs, or your bathtub before cleaning starts.
- Water service may be interrupted, water pressure may be low or water may appear discoloured during cleaning.
- No chemicals are used in water main cleaning. Special scrubbers and water pressure are used to clean water mains.
Drinking small amounts of discoloured water is unlikely to cause health issues. However, the City recommends waiting until water runs clear before drinking it. To clear discoloured water, run a cold water tap for five to fifteen minutes.
Why we clean water mains
Water main cleaning ensures customers receive the freshest water possible. Cleaning removes buildup of natural minerals such as iron and manganese. This reduces the chance that water will become discoloured.
For more information