2017 Report to the Community
Let’s get to yes
Over the past five years, more than 70 employees from seven departments have been working with local developers and businesses to overhaul the City’s planning and economic development processes.
Our goal: to make it easier for businesses to do business with City Hall.
- new checklists, guidelines, planning documents and web content to make processes straightforward and clear
- a triage protocol to define the best process and assemble the right team for each application
- a mandatory project kick-off meeting, and regular team meetings with all key staff
- new project management software that centralizes all information and enables more efficient customer service and communications
- enhanced staff training in areas such as professional development and customer service
Our performance measures tell the same story: development applications are completed more quickly, with fewer internal or client meetings and fewer revisions.
“City staff used a very collaborative approach. We were able to sit down and solve problems together. Without that, we’d likely be years away from breaking ground.”
Our commitment to continuous improvement: listen, learn, lead.
We’re listening and learning about your needs so we can keep improving how we do business.
- Grow Guelph business retention and expansion programs keep us in tune with local businesses.
- Collaborating with local industry strengthens professional relationships.
- Professional development keeps our people, processes and practices ahead of the curve.
- Key performance measures based on your experience and feedback help us continue improving how we do business.