Wyndham Street North – 12

By-law: (1979)-10190

Legal Description: Part Lot 108, Plan 8

Designated Portions

Only the façade and cornice of the three-storey walls facing Macdonnell Street and Wyndham Street are included in this designation. The two-storey wall facing Macdonnell Street and the total interior space are excluded.

Property History

The Toronto-Dominion Bank, 12 Wyndham Street North, was built for Nathaniel Higinbotham to house his apothecary. Known as “Medical Hall”, it was completed in April 1859. It was constructed of warm-hued local limestone laid in neat courses of dressed ashlar masonry. It forms the southern anchor for the unified stone block face from Macdonell Street to Cork Street.

Windows on the second and third floors are framed with triangular, pedimented lintels with carved stone brackets supported on plain architraves. Carved stone brackets support the window sills and distinctive carved stone cornice. The angular corner is accented with a curved surface, echoed by the curved cornice.

The property has been a bank since its purchase from the Higinbotham family in 1919. Alterations were made to the ground floor in 1939 and 1962. In 1976-77, Toronto-Dominion restored and cleaned the original masonry, replaced the original window sash and rebuilt the interior. The quality of the restoration work was recognized by the Guelph Arts Council’s 1978 Bronze Plaque of Merit. The retention of this structure has provided a strong example of the potential for restoration of the historic architecture of downtown Guelph.

Only the façade and cornice of the three-storey walls facing Macdonnell Street and Wyndham Street are included in this designation. The two-storey wall facing Macdonnell Street and the total interior space are excluded.