Waterloo Avenue – 146

By-law: (1990)-13688

Legal Description: Part Lot 5, Plan 42

Designated Portions

The designation includes all of the exterior of the building including exterior stone walls, windows and doors and chimneys and the shape and form of the building including the roof and the front dormer.

Property History

This well-proportioned storey-and-a-half stone cottage, characteristic of the Ontario Regency cottage form, was built of local limestone circa 1857 for James Alfred Worsley, an early resident of Guelph. Attractively set back in a deep lot, the cottage is highlighted by the entry, which is flanked by a transom and sidelights, and the symmetrical stone chimneys on the hipped-roof. The cottage is a fine example of the stone craftsmanship of the era and an important element in the streetscape of Waterloo Avenue.

The designation includes all of the exterior of the building including exterior stone walls, windows, doors, chimneys and the existing roof line.