Legal Description: Lot 641 and 642, Plan 8
The designation includes:
- all exterior stone walls of the building.
- The carved stone ornamentation on the Oxford Street façade of the building
- All door and window locations and details of the door and windows on the Oxford Street façade of the building
- The soffit brackets under the front roof gable, and
- All of the existing roof line over the entire two-storey building
Built circa 1872, this well-proportioned two-storey house, characteristic of the Italianate architectural style, is rich in carved stone ornamentation. The projecting entrance bay has a gable roof with bracketed eaves and features a central double door with transom, topped by a large segmental pediment of carved limestone. The windows are embellished with arched lintels and carved stone trim. The façade and projecting frontispiece are highlighted with raised quoins of matching stone.
Originally the residence of Hugh Walker, local grocer and fruit merchant and former alderman, the house was purchased in 1877 by the Trustees of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. The house served as the church’s manse until 1900 and was the residence of the Reverend James C. Smith for many of these years. Owners have also included Edmund P. Hawkins, General Manager of the Bell Organ and Piano Company, manufacturer John Mitchell and Dr. Thomas J. McNally, Medical Officer of Health.
The designation includes all of the exterior stone walls, the carved stone ornamentation on the façade, details of the front door and windows, soffit brackets under the front roof gable, and existing roof lines over the two-storey house.