Liverpool Street – 32

By-law: (1995)-14935

Legal Description: Pt Lot 697, Plan 8

Designated Portions

The designation includes:

  • All of the interior stone walls of the building;
  • All window and door openings on the designated walls of the building;
  • The roofline over the designated portion of the building, including the stone chimney;

The designation does not include:

  • The later rear addition;
  • Any interior elements of the dwelling

It is intended that non-original features may be returned to documented earlier designs or to their documented original form without requiring City Council permission for an alteration to the designation.

Property History

This well-proportioned cottage, constructed of local limestone, was built circa 1864 for carpenter Robert Anderson and is one of the earliest dwellings to be built on Liverpool Street. The property was purchased by Anderson from the Canada Company in 1855. This stone dwelling was one of three constructed and leased by Anderson on this property until the property was sold and divided into two parcels in 1875. Subsequent owners of 32 Liverpool Street included polisher Joseph Deitz and printer William Jacomb. The owner at the time of designation, Geraldine Reiner, purchased the dwelling in 1942 and has made many improvements to the interior and exterior of the dwelling since that time.

The designation covers the entire stone exterior of the building, including all door and window openings. The roofline and the stone chimney are also included in the designation.