The Bullfrog Inn
Legal Description: DIV F PT LOT 3
- Exterior of the Eramosa Rd. façade.
- Exterior of the southerly and northerly sidewalls for a distance of 30 ft. back from the front corners.
- The gable roof, dormer and chimneys on the designated front portion of the building.
Windows and doors within the openings in these walls are not specifically designated.
The two-storey stone building at 414-416 Eramosa Road, constructed prior to 1850, was originally one of a series of “farmer’s inns” along the Eramosa Road, between Guelph and Erin. The first meeting of Guelph’s Township Council was held here at the “Frog Pond Inn”, 20th January, 1850. In its early years, the tavern was operated by James Gay, eccentric Guelph poet and self-styled “ Poet Laureate of Canada”. Sometimes was known as “The House on the Moor”. It was Russell’s Hostelry in the 1860’s and was operated by William Hood in the 1870’s, The original name related to the nearby swamps and ponds which existed on both sides of Eramosa Road to the south of this building.
It was built with local limestone, pointed to appear as broken-coursed ashlar masonry. The Guelph Arts Council Heritage Awards gave its restoration a citation in 1978.
The designation covers the original street façade and roof profile, as well as the south and north side walls 30 feet back from the corners of the façade.