Legal Description: Part Lot 969, Plan 8
The designation includes;
- All the exterior brick walls of the dwelling;
- The roofline over the entire building, including the brick chimney;
- All original woodwork on the front façade (this would include the decorative woodwork around the upper and lower floor double windows, but does not include the new decorative woodwork surrounding the door or the new wood bargeboard);
- All door and window openings;
- The original wood floors
- The complete, main wood staircase;
- All original woodwork including the pocketdoors
It is intended that non-original features may be returned to documented earlier designs or to their documented original form without requiring City Council permission for an alteration to the designation.
This attractive two storey yellow brick dwelling was built circa 1884 by masonry contractor David McClockin to the design of local architect John Day. The dwelling features elaborate woodwork around the first floor bay window and second storey window on the front façade. A decorative yellow brick chimney is also a highlight.
The dwelling is one of two on Lot 969 owned by McClockin in the 1880s on the south side of Cambridge Street. McClockin and his family resided in the adjacent yellow brick dwelling to the west, leasing 24 Cambridge Street to a number of occupants including Kenneth McLean, a local barrister, for several years. The entire lot was sold in 1890 to gas fitter George Feek, who divided the lot into three parcels. Later owners included George McVicar, an auditor with the Grand Trunk Railway. The owners at the time of designation, Richard and Cheryl Yuill, are responsible for restoring many of the exterior and interior features of the house, and received the Guelph Arts Council’s Bronze Plaque in 1995.
All exterior brick walls of the dwelling are covered by the designation, including all door and window openings. The roofline over the entire dwelling as well as the brick chimney are also covered by the designation. On the front façade, the designation includes all original woodwork. Interior elements covered by the designation include the original wood floors, the complete, main wood staircase, and all original woodwork including the pocket doors.