Arboretum Road, University of Guelph, Alumni Centre

The Carriage House -Sheep Barn

By-law: (1982)-10923

Legal Description: Part Lot 7, Concession 2, Division G, designated as Part 1 of 61R-2672.

Designated Portions

All the exterior of the original central building and the later additions on each end is designated by this by-law. This would include:

  • The shape and form of the building and its roof
  • The shape and form of the building and its roof
  • Location and type of doors and windows, noting that not all need to be functional
  • The four ventilation cupolas on the roof ridge.

It is understood that the construction required to build a connecting link from the rear of the Carriage House-Sheep Barn to a separate addition would not be considered to affect the reasons for designation or to be detrimental to its historical or architectural significance.

The design of the interior is not subject to designation although it is intended that the timber frame will continue to be utilized.

Property History

This 1879 wooden building is considered the oldest surviving structure on the original campus of the Ontario Agricultural College. Built as the College Principal’s carriage house, it was moved in 1930 from the rear of the President’s house to its present location on Arboretum Road. It was enlarged to house the College sheep heard. The board and batten, timber-framed structure is a valid example of utilitarian rural architecture of the 1870’s. Only the exterior is covered by this designation.