What else do event organizers need to know?

Insurance requirements

Proof of insurance coverage and a signed waiver are required for all events happening on City of Guelph property. Insurance coverage is necessary in order to protect yourself and the City against any possible litigation (lawsuits) as a result of your event.

Event organizers will provide a copy of their Certificate of Insurance to the City’s event coordinator at least two weeks prior to the event. Please ensure that:

  • The City of Guelph is named as an additional insured on the Certificate of Insurance.
  • The type of insurance coverage is commercial general liability, inclusive of bodily injury and property damage, in a minimum amount of $5 million per occurrence. (Larger or higher risk events may be required to obtain a higher amount)
  • Licensed events must also obtain Host Liquor Liability Insurance.
  • If you do not have an insurance provider or would like to purchase insurance through the City of Guelph’s provider, a quote can be requested. Please allow four to six weeks for quote.

Tents / temporary structures

All tents must be secured, whether with stakes or sandbags, to the ground for safety. Any tents that are being staked or pegged require utility locates.

The Ontario Building Code requires building permits for any tent that exceeds 60 square metres (646 square feet or tents larger than 20 by 30 feet) in ground area. A building permit would also be required for a group of tents that exceed 60 square metres (646 square feet) in aggregate ground area. A group of tents refers to tents located closer than 3 metres to one another.

In order to obtain a building permit, you will need a final site layout that has been approved by City staff. This approval will be confirmed by the City’s events coordinator. Building Permits for tents enclosed with three or more sidewalls, tents containing bleachers, as well as tents exceeding 225 square metres (2,420 square feet ) require additional documentation for permit review.

Building permit applications must be received at least one month prior to your event. Guelph Fire Department approval will be required depending on the size and use of your tent. For more detailed information, please see guelph.ca/building.

The Ontario Fire Code dictates that any tent used for special events having an area of over 30 square meters be flame-proofed and that such tents are not to have straw, hay, shavings or other similar combustible materials unless used for the daily feeding and care of animals.

Smoking and open flame devices are prohibited in tents. A fire safety plan in compliance with the Ontario Fire Code is required. Organizers must make certain that people are employed for “fire watch” duty.

Digging / staking / fencing

There are underground utilities buried below the surface of the ground including hydro and irrigation lines. Pre-approval must be obtained for the installation of any object that penetrates the ground including fence posts, tent poles/pegs, and sign installations.

It is the responsibility of the event organizer to notify the City of the intention to stake anything into the ground prior to event set up. This should be indicated on your special event application and specific locations should be indicated on site map.

City staff will perform locates (charges may apply). Locates are valid for 30 days.

Locate markings will be identified in green, orange, blue or pink paint on the ground. Staking is not permitted within 3 feet of any markings identified on grass. Do not paint over existing utility locate marks.

Event organizers are permitted to mark the ground using white field marking paint only.

Working with vendors

Vendors must be pre-approved by the City’s Licensing Division to ensure there are no conflicts with existing business agreements and to maintain consistency with City of Guelph Corporate Values.

Under the City’s Business Licensing Bylaw some vendors will require a business licence to operate. Business Licences take approximately four weeks to be processed and issued.

As the event organizer, you are required to complete the following:

  • Provide a complete listing of vendors to the City’s events coordinator, including contact information and details of products/services offered at least four weeks prior to the event.
  • Ensure all vendors are familiar and comply with the City of Guelph bylaws, requirements and legislation (i.e. Electrical Safety Authority Guidelines, barbecue safety, tents for cooking and non-cooking, care of City assets, driving on grass, etc.)
  • Food vendors intending to sell or serve food to the public must submit a Special Event Vendor Application to your event coordinator 30 days prior to your event.
  • The City of Guelph strongly encourages any event organizers working with vendors to protect themselves by ensuring vendors have appropriate insurance coverage.
  • Arrange adequate disposal of garbage. This should be in consultation with Solid Waste Management (i.e. Liquid waste, three stream collection, etc.)
  • If drinking water is provided through the Guelph Water Wagon it is the event organizer’s responsibility to inform vendors that they are not permitted to sell or distribute bottled water. The water available through the Guelph Water Wagon is for drinking purposes only; vendors are responsible for providing their own water or using a water supply onsite which must be arranged with the City’s events coordinator prior to the event.
  • Food trucks licensed by the City of Guelph are permitted to operate at special events but this must be indicated on the special event application.

Actions and timeline

Action required Timelime
Submit a complete listing of vendors to Event Coordinator 4 weeks prior to event
Bylaw Compliance, Security and Licensing Division to review listing of vendors, will advise of licensing requirements 4 weeks prior to event
Vendors to apply for any required business licences 4 weeks prior to event
Submit Special Event Vendor Application to City of Guelph Minimum 30 days prior to event

Food safety

As the event organizer, you are required to complete the following:

  • Review the Special Event Information at Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health’s website
  • Complete and submit the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Special Event Organizer Application at least 60 days prior to your event
  • Notify your City of Guelph event coordinator and the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health of any significant changes to the original application.
  • Additionally, all food vendors at your event must submit a Special Event Vendor Application to City of Guelph 30 days prior to your event.

The City of Guelph notifies the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health and the Guelph Fire Department of dates and locations of events that are providing food service.

During the event, Public Health Inspectors may inspect food vendors to ensure proper food handling is being implemented and to prevent any health hazard. You must comply with any direction issued by Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.

Special permission to bring food may be required at some locations because of pre-existing food licences.

If your food provision involves a barbecue, please see the requirements under the Fire Prevention section.

If you are cooking in a tent, please see the requirements under the Fire Safety section.

To ensure consistency with the City’s Business Licensing By-law, some vendors will be required to obtain a business licence to operate (i.e. food truck, ice cream truck, etc.). A minimum of four weeks is required to obtain a City of Guelph Business Licence.

Washroom standards

Event organizers are responsible to ensure access to adequate washroom facilities during events. The City of Guelph requires that event organizers ensure the following:

  • Two washrooms with a toilet/urinal and washbasin for every 100 men.
  • Two washrooms with a toilet and washbasin for every 100 women.
  • Of this number of washrooms, at least five per cent, but no less than one shall be an accessible washroom with a toilet.

City washroom facilities are open May 2 to Thanksgiving, weather permitting, with the exception of the following which are open only when park facility/sports fields/diamond are booked:

  • Concert Shell in Riverside Park
  • Riverside Park washroom building on east side of River.
  • Exhibition washroom building closest to Softball diamonds and attached to Concession building.
  • Curling Club washrooms.

The City can provide portable washrooms at the daily cost published in the City of Guelph 2016 Rates and Fees Bylaw or you may use your own approved provider.

Site access for deliveries and placement must be approved by City staff.

Alcohol service and/or sales

Event organizers wishing to sell or serve alcohol at their event must comply with the City’s Alcohol Risk Management Policy; and Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario legislation.

The City’s Alcohol Risk Management Policy was developed in order to promote a safe, enjoyable environment for those who use City facilities and to prevent alcohol related problems that arise from alcohol consumption within City Property. The Alcohol Risk Management Policy outlines requirements for servers, monitors, fencing, signage, licensed security, etc. as determined by the City and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

Requests must be received at least four months prior to the event and must be accompanied by a supplemental application entitled “City of Guelph Alcohol Risk Management Policy Planning and Compliance Questionnaire”.

Depending on your organizational structure (business, non-profit, etc.), the nature of your event (private or public); you will be required to obtain a “Special Occasion Permit from the The Liquor Control Board of Ontario or hire a caterer who holds a “Catering Endorsement”.

Private events

An event organizer who wishes to serve alcohol on City property for an event that is closed to the general public and deemed to be a Private Event is restricted to using a Caterer’s Endorsement only. Special Occasion Permits are not permitted for Private Events serving alcohol.

Public events

An event organizer that is a registered charity or an incorporated non-profit organization who wishes to serve alcohol at a Public Event on City property may obtain a Special Occasion Permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario. If the event organizer is an individual or a business, they must operate a licensed Public Event under a Catering Endorsement.

Event organizers must ensure that all legislated and City-directed requirements and conditions are met.

For further reference, please visit the following:


Onsite signs

Details of any onsite signage promoting your event, marking a run/walk route etc. must be approved by City staff. Please note that signs are not to be affixed to trees or City structures (i.e. fences, building, etc.) and should be placed so that they are not a trip hazard for event attendees. Signs that are being staked into the ground are required to have utility locates, so we suggest using A-Frame or free standing signs.

Mobile signs

There are several pre-approved locations for mobile signs throughout the City. Only non-profit organizations are eligible to place mobile signs and will be required to complete a Mobile Sign application. Once approved a permit will be issued. The cost for the Mobile Sign Permit is outlined in the 2016 Rates and Fees Bylaw. Sign locations can be booked for a fee in increments of one week. Mobile signs are not permitted on the road allowance.

Riverside Park sign

The sign can be booked in increments of one week for a fee as outlined in the 2016 Rates and Fees Bylaw. Space is limited to 16 characters by four lines.

Norfolk Street footbridge banners

The City is no longer accepting or processing requests for banners on the Norfolk Street footbridge.

The Norfolk Street footbridge will be closed as of February 5, 2017 as part of the Wilson Street and parkade construction project. The City is building a new parking facility at the site of the Wilson Street parking lot, and replacing the footbridge. Banners will not be permitted on the new footbridge.


As facilities allow, special event organizers must provide a barrier-free environment for visitors with special needs. Please consider the following points when planning your event:

  • Provide one designated accessible parking space for every 25 parking spaces and locate the accessible parking space(s) at the accessible entrance(s). If more than 50 parking spaces will be provided outside of the existing venue parking, please contact the City for further direction on the number of accessible parking spaces to be provided.
  • Create an accessible route as a path of travel; provide clear directional signs where the route is unclear. Ensure service counters are located on the accessible route so that all attendees can participate.
  • A minimum of 50 per cent of all entrances should be accessible.
  • Provide at least one (and a minimum of five per cent of total units) accessible washroom(s) at an equal distance of non-accessible washrooms.
  • Picnic tables in a common use area should include at least one (and a minimum of 20 per cent) that are accessible.
  • Service animals and guide dogs are permitted in all areas of City property including food service areas but excluding food preparation areas as defined by Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.

Road closures

Full or partial road closures or requests to use municipally owned parking facilities, shall be indicated on the Special Event Application and submitted at least four months prior to the event. A map indicating the proposed route and roads requested for closure is to be provided.

A road closure application fee, to be collected when receipt of application is confirmed, is required as outlined in the 2016 Rates and Fees Bylaw. There is also a refundable $1,000 maintenance deposit required for road closures. Depending on the size and nature of your event, additional costs associated with the road closures shall apply (i.e. barriers, Transit relocation, public notices, cones, signage, and staffing, etc.). All fees and any additional costs required by the City are the responsibility of the event organizer.

Once the application has been submitted, it is circulated to appropriate City departments and Guelph Police Service for review. Depending on the size and nature of the event/request, staff will provide the necessary conditions and requirements to ensure public safety two weeks prior to the event date. This is assuming all of the necessary details of the event have been provided to staff and no further revisions are made.

You will be provided with a Traffic Control Plan outlining the traffic control requirements. City staff will be responsible for placement of materials and setup of all traffic control. Non-City staff will be allowed to setup barricades/cones on local side streets where traffic signs are not required.

If pay duty officers are to be arranged through the Guelph Police Service, a minimum of four to six weeks notice is required for scheduling and prior to receipt of the traffic control plan. It is the responsibility of the event organizer to contact the Guelph Police Service to arrange for pay duty officers. Please note that police will require a copy of the proposed route or streets affected, they do not require a copy of the finalized traffic control plan prior to making arrangements for pay duty officers.

Volunteer marshals may be required at key locations along the event route. This is determined by City staff, in conjunction with the event organizer and Guelph Police Service.

All event marshals must wear a fluorescent blaze or international orange vest. If the vest is made of nylon it must also have a side and front tear-away feature indicated in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Regulation 145/00, Section 69.1.

Volunteer marshals will be required to provide access to all properties within a closure area during an event. Disruption to traffic and inconvenience to motorists should be minimized where possible.

Notification shall be distributed to all affected area residents, businesses and places of worship on streets identified by City staff no later than two weeks prior to the event date. The notice and map outlining streets affected will be provided by City staff.

An emergency/fire route of six metres (18 feet) must be maintained at all times.

Removal of cars from streets for road closures

Vehicles that are parked illegally will be towed and impounded. Event organizers are to call City of Guelph By-law Compliance and Security at 519-837-2529 in advance of their event starting to report vehicles parked illegally.

If vehicle owners call Police or By-law, they will be informed as to where their vehicles are.

Impounding fees incurred are at the expense of the vehicle owner. Event organizers can opt to re-locate the vehicle to other legal parking locations; however, the cost of the relocation would be the responsibility of the event organizer.

Transit services

Transit costs incurred as a result of your event (i.e. transit relocations, detours, enhanced service, road closures, public notifications, etc.) may be charged back to the event organizer.


If your event requires the use of municipal parking lots/metered spaces or on-street spaces, your application will be vetted through the City of Guelph parking office.

Sidewalks and trails

Etiquette for all users

  • Abide by all traffic control devices
  • Follow the rules of the road
  • Exercise caution and be mindful of passing motorists
  • Share the path—don’t impede other users

Etiquette for cyclists on trails

  • Travel at a pace safe for conditions—trail areas can be slippery or have loose stone dust/gravel
  • Slow down in congested/populated areas
  • Yield to pedestrians and control your speed
  • Dismount bikes on steep slopes
  • Stay right except to pass—this is especially important on corners
  • Pull off to the side of the path when stopping
  • Pass only when it is safe to do so, and pass with care event participants must remain on the sidewalks and off the travelled portion of the roadways

If your event requires access to trails via gates, pre-approval and gate openings/closings must be coordinated with your City of Guelph event coordinator at least five days prior to the event.

Accident prevention / emergency planning

The best way to deal with an accident is to prevent it. It is strongly recommended that event organizers develop an emergency procedures/plan before the event and makes sure all staff, volunteers, vendors, security and anyone else on site are familiar with it. Based on the size and scope of your event, you may be required to submit an emergency plan to be pre-approved by City staff. Please ensure all staff, volunteers, vendors, security and anyone else on site are familiar with it.

Your emergency plan will be based on the nature of your event, activities proposed, and any other specific details that may be relevant, however, the following list may serve as a starting point of things to consider.

  • Describe and assign roles and responsibilities in the event of an emergency
  • Develop procedures for dealing with:
    • Medical emergencies
    • Fire emergencies
    • Safety zones and evacuations
    • Missing person/child
    • Extreme weather
    • Downed power lines
    • Children, elderly adults, persons with disabilities or medical illness
    • Crowd management/control
  • Explain your communications protocol
  • Who would speak to the media and where this would take place
  • If your event is a linear type event (i.e. walk, bike ride, etc.) you might also consider:
    • If required how do you stop the event?
    • How do you collect and account for the participants?
    • To where do you evacuate the participants?
    • If there was an incident at the event that attracted media interest, consider who would speak to the media and where this would take place.

Submit your plan to the City’s event coordinator at least seven days prior to your event.

It is suggested that events provide a certified first aid service (i.e. St. John’s Ambulance) onsite during the operating hours of the event through a qualified agency.

First Aid stations/supplies should be clearly identified to the public.

In the event of an emergency at any City facility please contact 911.

An emergency/fire route of 6 metres (18 feet) should be maintained at all times.


Depending on the scale of the event, organizers may be required to provide licensed security. The costs associated with hiring security are the responsibility of the event organizer. The purpose of having a security plan is to ensure that all people and property at the event have the best possible protection.

Security to support your event can:

  • Act as a deterrent for potential disturbances
  • Identify and resolve potential incidents
  • Prevent theft and damage
  • Provide crowd control

Camping in City parks is not permitted. Special permission to remain onsite overnight may be requested for the purpose of providing security and monitoring property left in parks during special events and festivals. Requests should be submitted to your event coordinator at least two weeks prior to your event.

Open fires are not permitted without approval by Guelph Fire Department.

Fire prevention

Guelph Fire Department approval is required for special events.


Approval from the Guelph Fire Department is required for all events that request fire/fireworks and pyrotechnics. It is recommended that requests for fireworks be submitted at least three months prior to your event date in order for necessary approvals to be granted.

Public notifications, requirements and fees may apply. Be sure your site plan includes the firework set up location.

Barbecues/Cooking Equipment

Barbecues (charcoal or propane) on City property must not be placed under trees, tents, canopies or picnic shelters and must be located away from combustibles. Event organizers using barbecues are required to have a 5lb, ABC extinguisher in close proximity during use. A soap test must be conducted around all connections prior to igniting a propane barbecue

Fire Watch

In locations where no fire alarm system exists, event organizers must comply with the Fire Watch Protocol as required in Ontario Fire Code.

Open fires are not permitted without approval by Guelph Fire Department.

Contact the Fire Prevention Office at 519-763-8111 or [email protected] if you have questions or concerns.

Guelph Police Service

Special Duty Officers

If it is determined that special duty officers are required for an event, please visit the Guelph Police Service’s website guelphpolice.com/en/services-and-reporting.asp and complete the application. For Short Notice Requests (requested less than five days before the event), please contact the Guelph Police Service Special Duty Coordinator at 519-824-1212 extension 7279.

Traffic Services

If you have requested a road closure, your application will be reviewed in conjunction with Guelph Police Service. For any other traffic-related feedback on issues that arise from the potential interaction of pedestrians and motor vehicles, please contact:

Traffic Supervisor
519-824-1212 extension 7225
[email protected]

Wellington County Ontario Provincial Police

Guelph Lake sports fields fall within the jurisdiction of Wellington County Ontario Provincial Police. If special duty officers are required, please contact Gary Barnhardt or Marilyn Koch at 519-343-5770 extension 2.

If you require a Wellington County OPP Officer for a non-emergency issue or concern, please contact 1-888-310-1122.

In the event of an emergency at any city park please contact 911.

Electrical guidelines

Access to electrical services is available in some locations and must be approved by City staff. If you are intending to use electricity at your event, please provide a detailed listing of equipment and cords to your event coordinator at least two weeks prior to your event. Charges may apply. Depending on the complexity of the electrical setup, a permit and inspection may be required by the City of Guelph or the Electrical Safety Authority.

Electrical equipment

  • All electrical equipment being used in recreational facilities and parks should be either CSA or ULC approved, or other recognized approval marking (see ESA website), including extension cords. No other equipment is allowed to access electricity in our facilities/parks.
  • Equipment being used outdoors should be rated for such use.
  • Mechanical equipment must be TSSA and CSA approved, including inflatables.

Electrical permits and inspections

  • City of Guelph staff may determine whether a permit and inspection are required or they may direct you to ESA. If ESA has deemed an inspection is not required based on the setup/equipment information you provide to them, the City will require notification of this in writing.
  • The organizing group is responsible for obtaining the permit, arranging the inspection and all costs associated.
  • The permit number must be submitted to City of Guelph staff at least two weeks prior to the event.
  • City staff must be present at the time of inspection. The inspection time should be arranged with your event coordinator.

Permit and Inspection not required by ESA

An electrical permit and inspection by the ESA is not required under the following circumstances:

  • Simple plug and play connection using standard configuration cords and receptacles.
  • Single generator less than 12KW (120/240 volt) is used to connect equipment using standard configuration cords and receptacles.
  • All equipment being used is connected to building power using standard configuration cords and receptacles.
  • The total voltage draw does not exceed 110 volts with a maximum of 15 amps per circuit. Circuits that have been overloaded are not guaranteed to be addressed by City staff at the time of your event, potentially resulting in a loss of power.

Permit and Inspection required

An electrical permit and inspection by the Electrical Safety Authority is required under the following circumstances:

  • Any usage or setup considered more than simple plug and play connection using standard configuration cords and receptacles.
  • Multiple Generators are being used.
  • Generator greater than 12KW or 120/240 volt is being used.
  • There will be hard wiring of a physical electrical connection to existing building wiring.
  • If Cam-lok connections, single conductor cables or pin and sleeve receptacles are used as part of the installation.
  • Carnivals, trade shows, large events.
  • When deemed necessary by City of Guelph staff.

Contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-esa-safe (1-877-372-7233) or esasafe.com.

Entertainment standards

The event organizer must ensure that the entertainment associated with the event will be of a positive nature for the enjoyment of both adults and children. Foul, offensive or
discriminatory language, or any form of profanity in verbal form or gesture will not be tolerated.

Sound amplification

Noise, (amplified and non-amplified), associated with special events at public parks and facilities are regulated to ensure the success of the event while limiting the impact to residents. Upon investigation, By-law or Guelph Police may direct you to cease or reduce sound amplification. Amplified sound is not permitted at Goldie Mill and at Riverside Park picnic shelters due to their sheltered surroundings.

Depending on the location/time of your event, you may be required to obtain an exemption to the Noise By-law. Review City of Guelph Noise By-law on guelph.ca for more information. Requests for exemptions must be receive three months in advance of the event. For further information please contact By-law Compliance and Security staff at 519-837-2529 or [email protected].


SOCAN (the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) is a not-for-profit organization that represents the Canadian performing rights of millions of Canadian and international music creators and publishers. Through licenses, SOCAN gives businesses that use music the freedom to use any music they want, legally and ethically.

The City of Guelph retains a SOCAN license. As part of the terms of this license, the City of Guelph requires that all events on City property that feature live or recorded music pay a SOCAN tariff. SOCAN tariffs are based on the number of attendees (paid or free) anticipated at an event.

The City of Guelph will calculate the necessary SOCAN tariff for your event and this fee will be appear on and be payable under your facility rental contract. Event organizers with an SOCAN account can provide proof of payment in lieu of adding the cost to their rental permit.

Visit socan.ca for more information

Live animals

Organizers requesting live animals at an event must be compliant with the City of Guelph Exotic and Non-Domestic Animals Bylaw found on guelph.ca. An exemption to these bylaws can be arranged through you event coordinator.

The use of domestic animals within events is governed by the Guelph Humane Society at guelph-humane.on.ca and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health at wdgpublichealth.ca.

Inflatables / bouncy castles / amusement rides

Inflatables, bouncy castles, amusement rides, etc. require City approval and are not permitted at any picnic shelters or irrigated sportsfields. City staff will determine onsite location of the device.

All devices must be identified on the event organizers or the rental company’s, Certificate of insurance that names the City of Guelph as an additional insured.

All inflatables, bouncy castles, amusement rides, must be TSSA (Technical Safety Standards Authority) approved and organizers must follow guidelines including:

  • Securing device to the ground using TSSA approved methods (stakes if locates are obtained or counterweight).
  • If generators are required for the operation of the device, user must adhere to the Electricity Guidelines.

Visit tssa.org for more information.

Dunk tanks are not permitted on City of Guelph property because they are not regulated.

All public amusement areas outside must comply with the applicable sections of the Ontario Fire Code.


Depending on the nature of your fundraising activities, you may be required to obtain a lottery licence in order to conduct your event.
Examples of lotteries that require a lottery licence are:

  • Raffles, including 50/50 draws
  • Bazaars, including penny tables and wheels of fortune
  • Bingos
  • Break Open tickets

To obtain further information regarding licensing eligibility and regulations please contact
the City of Guelph Licensing division at 519-822-1260 extension 2551 or [email protected].

Tourism Services

Tourism Services may be able to assist with the promotion of your event to visitors. Here’s how we can help:

  • Delegate/participant kits, maps, Visit Guelph guides, vouchers/coupons, and a special gift for delegates and participants (subject to availability)
  • Listing on the Tourism Event Calendar on visitguelphwellington.ca
  • Event promotion through social media channels
  • Assistance with providing stats and research to support bid and event submissions
  • Use of approved photography and videos and the Visit Guelph brand
  • Option to participate in the fee-based Tourism Partnership Marketing Program
  • Centralized web-based reservation system for group hotel bookings
  • Other services can be discussed and arranged with appropriate notice

Guelph Tourism Services is located on the first floor of City Hall, immediately to the right as you enter the main doors. The office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The official tourism website for the City of Guelph is visitguelphwellington.ca. Email inquiries can be directed to [email protected] and the phone number is 1-800-334-4519.
Back to top

Inviting the Mayor to your event?

The mayor is pleased to attend community functions and bring greetings on behalf of the City. In the event that the Mayor is unavailable, a member of council will be asked to attend on behalf of the Mayor. Please send an email to [email protected] with the following details: the name of the event, date, time, and location; contact information for the organizers; a description of the event; and the Mayor’s role (i.e. remarks, ribbon cutting, attendance only, etc.).

Events at Riverside Park

Upper Riverside Park is the event location of choice for organizers wishing to host large scale community festivals, civic celebrations and community events. Your event can be packaged and priced based on the number of attendees you are expecting and the amenities and services that will be required.

As Riverside Park is a destination park; with many residents and tourists visiting on a daily basis, events held on Upper Riverside Park must be open to the public and may not restrict access.

Events at Market Square

Market Square is a contemporary space and is ideal for hosting festivals, concerts, community events and civic celebrations. Please consider the following when requesting use of Market Square:

  • Only non-profit organizations will be approved for the use of Market Square.
  • Events must be open to the public and cannot be ticketed.
  • The ice rink/wading pool must remain accessible to the public at all times. Exceptions may be permitted at the discretion of City staff for performances or other public events taking place on the concrete pad; but not for displays.
  • Access to power is available, but must be approved through the special event process.
  • The washrooms in the pavilion are open when the ice or wading pool is operational. Provisions of additional portable washroom facilities may be required.