House and home – frequently asked questions

What types of vehicles can park on a residential property?

All vehicles that are permitted to park in front of a house are confined to the legal driveway only. This means that vehicles may not park on the front lawn or any other landscaped area of a front yard.

There are many instances where short term parking may be required in the driveway, in front of a house. When this is required for washing, servicing, loading or unloading, etc., short term parking in the front yard area on the driveway is permitted.

Read more about parking

Do I need a permit to install central air conditioning?

A permit is not required to install central air conditioning for single residential units. The location of air-condition units must comply with Zoning By-law regulations. The unit can project a maximum of 1.2 metres (3’11”) in to a required front or side yard. Air-conditioning is reviewed with the heating and ventilation on new multi-residential, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings.

Can I have a clothesline?

The municipality does not regulate clotheslines. There may be convenants in your deed prohibiting clotheslines.

Where can I put my composter?

Composters are regulated under the Property Standards By-law which requires:

  • Compost on every property shall be contained in a composter or an open pile that is not larger than 2 square metres (21.5 square feet) in area and 1 metre (39 inches) in height.
  • Every composter or compost pile shall be maintained to deter animals.

Learn more home composting

What do I need to know about garage sales?

Zoning regulations permit a maximum of 3 garage sales (yard sale, lawn sales, etc.) on any given property in any 1 calendar year. Each separate sale is limited to a maximum duration of 2 consecutive days.

If you are installing signs around the neighbourhood to advertise your garage sale, please keep in mind:

  • Garage sale signs are permitted to be staked in the ground on the road allowance (but not on traffic islands) and on your residential property
  • Signs must not be more than 2’ 7” (0.8 m) above the road surface with a maximum sign area of 5 sq. ft. (0.46 sq. m.).
  • Signs advertising your garage sales should be removed immediately after the event.

Do I need a permit for a decorative pond?

Building permits are not required for decorative ponds. Water contained in decorative ponds and bird baths must be changed every four days or be equipped with a pump to prevent standing water in accordance with City of Guelph Standing Water By-law (2003)-17192.

Where can I find more information about…