Please call Solid Waste Resources at 519-767-0598. Alternatively, review the following checklist to ensure your waste can be collected.
Common reasons for missed collection
- Spacing/accessibility: avoid placing carts behind parked cars. All carts must be at least 1m away from fixed obstacles. Carts must be accessible to the truck from the street.
- Carts not out on time; carts must be at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day.
- Overfilled carts: contents must fit inside carts with the lids closed. Overfilled carts may not be collected as litter could spill out onto the street.
- Crammed contents: Items must be placed loosely inside carts; do not cram them in. Overstuffed carts may not empty completely when tipped into the collection truck.
- Black bags; see below for acceptable liners/bags.
- Construction material cannot be placed in carts for collection.
The City provided carts as follows:
- Green cart (for organics)
- Blue cart (for recyclables)
- Grey cart (garbage for landfill)
Not all items are collected weekly; find out your collection schedule. Only material inside the carts will be collected. Do not leave bags or items beside or on top of carts.
Only the green, blue and grey carts provided by the City will be collected at the curb. Carts from other municipalities and retailers may not be compatible with automated truck arm and will not be collected.
Acceptable bags or liners for the carts
- Green cart (organic waste): Contents can be placed loose inside the cart without using a bag. A paper liner or a certified compostable bag is optional. Opaque bags are not acceptable.
- Blue cart (recyclables): Do NOT use a bag or liner. Contents must be loose, not bagged or bundled. Shredded paper is the one exception; it must be placed in a transparent plastic bag inside the blue cart.
- Grey cart (garbage): Contents can be placed loose inside the cart without a bag as a liner. It’s optional to use a clear bag. Opaque bags are not acceptable.
Sorting your waste
- Organics, recyclables and waste are not sorted properly; view the detailed sorting list.
- Grocery-style bags must not be placed in the green or blue carts. Only empty shopping bags can be placed in the grey cart.
- Frozen contents may not empty. Help ensure your green cart empties by keeping it
- lined with certified compostable plastic liners or crumpled newspaper sheets
- loose – layer organic waste with soiled paper products or leaves
- sheltered against your home, in a shed or garage until set out at the curb for collection
- Ensure the carts are not too full and the lids can close. Overstuffed carts cause litter to spill out and will not be collected.
- Flatten and place all cardboard inside the blue cart. The cardboard should fit completely inside the cart (not crammed) in order for the lid to close.
- Keep lids closed but make sure they can open freely for the collection truck.
- Open the latch on the green cart lid for collection.
Placement at the curb
- Place carts at the curb or in the mouth of your driveway no later than 6:30 a.m.
- Place containers within one foot of the curb, carts too far from the curb will not be collected
- Carts are hidden behind parked vehicle – if cars often park on your street please place carts in the mouth of the driveway.
- Do not place carts on top of a snowbank; place carts at ground level at the end of your driveway and within one foot of the curb or shovel a spot from the snowbank.
- Allow one metre or 39 inches (more than one arm’s length clearance) on all sides of the cart and five metres clearance above the cart from obstacles (e.g. tree limbs and awnings) to ensure your carts are accessible to the waste collection truck.
If your waste was not collected please remove it from the curb by 7 p.m. Items left at the curb are subject to a fine or clean up fees under the Waste Management By-Law.
For more information
Solid Waste Resources