November 15, 2017
September 29, 2017
In Guelph’s fast-growing south end, the area will soon be home to a new multi-use community centre.
The 165,000-square-foot South End Community Centre, featuring a twin pad arena, an aquatic complex, double gym, multi-use program and meeting room spaces, and an indoor walking track and warm-up area, will be built on existing City-owned lands immediately south of Bishop Macdonell Catholic High School on Poppy Drive.
The facility’s green initiatives, which align with the City’s Community Net Zero Carbon and Corporate 100% Renewable Energy (100RE) goals, will result in 62 per cent energy savings and 85 per cent savings in greenhouse gas emissions. Through an energy-conservation-first approach and incorporating renewable energy generation, this takes the City one step closer to achieving its goal of 100 per cent of energy from renewable sources by 2050.
It’s estimated it will cost $80 million to build the new community centre, with 85 per cent covered by development charges and the balance funded through taxes.
Construction is expected to start in 2022 with an opening date of fall 2024.
- Q4 project update, December 2020
- Q3 project update, October 2020
- Q2 Project update, July 2020
- Q1 Project update, May 2020
- Q4 Project Update, April 2020
- Q3 Project Update, November 2019
- Q2 Project Update, September 2019
- Q1 Project Update, May 2019
- Q4 Project Update, March 2019
- Q3 Project Update, November 2018
- Q2 Project Update, June 2018
- Q1 Project Update, March 2018
For more information
General Manager, Facilities and Energy Management
519-822-1260 extension 2490