In Guelph’s fast-growing south end, the area will soon be home to a new multi-use community centre.
The 160,000-square-foot South End Community Centre (SECC), featuring twin ice pads, an aquatic center with a lap and teaching pool, double gym, walking track and multi-purpose rooms all connected by a central lobby, will be built on existing City-owned lands immediately south of Bishop Macdonell Catholic High School on Poppy Drive connecting with the existing South End Community Park and Larry Pearson baseball diamonds.
The facility’s green initiatives, which align with the City’s Community Net Zero Carbon and Corporate 100% Renewable Energy (100RE) goals, will result in 62 per cent energy savings and 85 per cent savings in greenhouse gas emissions. Through an energy-conservation-first approach and incorporating renewable energy generation, this takes the City one step closer to achieving its goal of 100 per cent of energy from renewable sources by 2050.
It’s estimated it will cost $115.5 million to build the new community centre, with 95 per cent of the project covered by development charges and the balance funded through taxes.
Construction is expected to start in fall 2023 with the facility opening happening in 2026.
SECC Council Info Sessions Questions and Answers
- Q4 project update, December 2021
- Q3 project update, September 2021
- Q2 project update, July 2021
- Q1 Project update, April 2021
- Q4 project update, December 2020
- Q3 project update, October 2020
- Q2 Project update, July 2020
- Q1 Project update, May 2020
- Q4 Project Update, April 2020
- Q3 Project Update, November 2019
- Q2 Project Update, September 2019
- Q1 Project Update, May 2019
- Q4 Project Update, March 2019
- Q3 Project Update, November 2018
- Q2 Project Update, June 2018
- Q1 Project Update, March 2018
South End Community Centre Update, June 2018 (Page 5)
Recreation Facility Needs Assessment, Feasibility Study and Implementation Strategy: Phase 5 Feasibility Assessment (May 2014)
Staff Report and Presentation, March 7, 2023
For more information
General Manager, Facilities and Energy Management
519-822-1260 extension 2490