The City of Guelph recognizes that innovative and collaborative destination development plays an important role in advancing Guelph as a destination of choice and building a strong local economy.
In 2015, the Regional Tourism Organization 4 (RTO4) funded and launched a community-driven initiative based on the DestinationNEXT model. Called DestinationGUELPH, this initiative has resulted in a series of collaborate projects designed to develop new visitor experiences, share Guelph’s authentic stories, and build our brand as a vibrant must-see destination.
To support DestinationGUELPH, the City’s tourism staff engaged as facilitators, leaders and/or partners on several projects. For background and progress to date, visit the RTO4 website.
DestinationGUELPH projects currently in implementation phase:
- Formation of a Tourism Stakeholder Network to increase industry engagement
- Modernization of tourism information and visitor services
- Development of a downtown Guelph micro destination
- Establishment of economic impact and key performance indicators
- Creation of new programming, such as Music Weekends
- Installation of WiFi infrastructure at the City’s cultural facilities
- Research to investigate potential for Guelph as Music City
For information about DestinationGUELPH, contact Stacey Dunnigan, Manager of Culture and Tourism at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-822-1260 extension 2533.