Local artists are engaged to lead out-door art-making activities that are open and free to the public over a four-week period each summer at Guelph Farmers’ Market.
- animate public space through public participation in creative activity
- provide opportunities for artists to engage with the community
Scope of work
Artists are asked to play with scale and imaginative use of materials in designing the project, giving focus to the opportunity for a site-specific, temporary, outdoor installation. Whether whimsical, colourful, fantastical in scale or thought-provoking, the intent of the project is to engage the public in a creative experience that peaks curiosity, generates excitement and builds community placemaking. Hands-on experiences are encouraged, and artists are also encouraged to develop proposals that demonstrate the core values of sustainability, such as the reuse of materials.
Guelph Farmers’ Market is located at a major gateway to the downtown’s core. The projects and resulting temporary installations for Market Mornings community art projects should create a highly visible temporary installation to be enjoyed by pedestrians and cyclists, as well as those travelling in vehicles.
The City of Guelph will provide:
- designated outdoor working space on four Saturday mornings;
- sun shelter, work tables and water access;
- limited space for the storage of materials and work(s) in progress;
- budget inclusive of an artist fee plus funding for materials and costs related to the completion and installation of the project;
- support staff; and
- marketing assistance and promotional materials.
The artist will:
- enter into an official agreement with the City of Guelph;
- provide regularly scheduled public programming on four select Saturdays;
- deliver the selected project within the program’s timeline and budget;
- purchase and transport all materials related to the project;
- provide regular progress updates to City staff;
- be available to speak with the media; and
- attend a debriefing session with City staff at the end of the program.