The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Winter Control Operator within the Operations Department. Reporting to the Public Works Supervisors, the successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
- Perform duties in the development, maintenance and operation of the Operations Department related roads winter control.
- Operate various types of equipment including tractors with plow attachment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Perform various duties relating to winter control of roadways including operating manual snow and ice clearing and manual salting and sanding equipment.
- Comply with all applicable regulations and requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Remove obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 12 education is required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above which includes 1 year relevant experience
- Operating front end loaders and other relevant heavy equipment (such as tractor/backhoe and tractors) in a safe and efficient manner in live traffic and in winter driving conditions (preferably for winter control purposes). Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record. A Class DZ would be a definite asset. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner and work well in a team environment.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities including lifting, digging, shoveling, raking and climbing ladders and be able to actively participate in daily activities, working within live traffic conditions and adverse weather conditions.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
$26.34 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. First consideration will be given to those who apply by Tuesday, February 23, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.