The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will assist in the development, implementation, and ongoing administration of data collection, analysis and management in support of the Water Efficiency Strategy and other related programs with the Compliance and Performance team. This includes the tracking of key performance indicators for water and solid waste program metrics; assimilating, reporting and quality assurance and quality control on the annual Water Balance; supporting Compliance and Performance with respect to benchmarking data and data analysis projects; and supports various research projects.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. The position requires the ability to work alternate hours on evenings and weekends as necessary to facilitate community outreach programs.
- Collects, analyzes and reviews data for quality assurance and quality control to complete Water Services’ annual Water Balance to American Water Works Association Standard (AWWA) of Practice and makes recommendations for corrective action or continual improvement.
- Input, report and refine key performance indicator (KPI) tracking quarterly and annually for goals and targets of several water, wastewater and source protection-related initiatives as directed by Council-approved plans and strategies.
- Assists in data management of the municipal water production, consumption, water loss, leakage, non-revenue water, district metered areas and water efficiency programs in alignment with recommendations as identified through the 2016 Water Efficiency Strategy and direction of Compliance and Performance.
- Assists in the development of the Municipal Water Loss Strategy and an Integrated Water Management Strategy, an update to the 2016 Water Efficiency Strategy,
- Develop technical documentation including monitoring, tracking and review of the water usage in the residential and industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sectors with respect to water use, and facilitating the enhancement of an integrated water mapping tool.
- Provide water efficiency technical support, including GIS mapping and program performance monitoring, to inform process, policy and procedure success and recommend improvements.
- Produce quality written material for a variety of audiences, such as non-tax supported annual budget support, Council reports, Annual Summary Reports, award nominations as needed.
- Assist with technical support of reviewing and commenting on technical documents, plans and strategies related to water and wastewater.
- Prepare and execute formal/informal presentations and reports to internal and external technical experts and peers, as needed.
- Complete research in support of projects or pilot studies as directed by corporate plans and strategies.
- Liaise professionally with various City departments, other municipalities, contractors, consultants and stakeholders as required.
- Attend public meetings as required including the Water Conservation and Efficiency Public Advisory Committee.
- Travel within the city and regionally, including program consultation, conferences/training, and coordinating contractors, as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Environmental Science, Engineering or a closely-related discipline and 2-3 years’ experience with municipal water systems and/or capacity planning. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in analyzing, interpreting and evaluating technical data and preparing reports.
- Experience with ArcGIS platforms.
- Must possess a valid ‘G’ driver’s licence and have a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access).
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to work with larger alpha-numerical datasets to ensure accuracy.
- Ability to compile, evaluate and interpret operational and compliance data, effectively track changes and communicate that with others utilizing data.
- Experience with municipal program software such as AMANDA, MochaSoft is an asset.
- Experience with ArcGIS for data management is an asset.
- Ability to observe and problem solve; analyze, synthesize and interpret technical and numerical information, evaluate alternatives and make independent decisions and recommendations.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a demanding environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of relevant municipal, provincial and federal legislation, acts, regulations and by-laws such as the Municipal Act, Federal and Provincial Drinking Water legislation, and Occupational Health & Safety Act; industry best practices in water and wastewater processes, and municipal civil and environmental engineering.
- Knowledge of theories, principles and practices of water efficiency and operational optimization, innovative wastewater management and technology, storm water management, water auditing procedures and techniques, and program management.
$31.36-$38.51 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, April 19, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.