The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Wastewater SCADA Specialist is responsible for providing project management and technical expertise to Wastewater Services on projects, updates and maintenance on SCADA and security matters. This position develops, updates and implements Wastewater Services’ SCADA and security standards, procedures and policies with the support of Wastewater Services Management. This position will assist with technical troubleshooting, physical and cyber security measures, development of SCADA and security data based reports, and provision of reporting tools to staff where appropriate. Reporting to the Manager of Wastewater Operations, this position will work with and support Wastewater Treatment, Collections, and Maintenance Operations groups and other Wastewater staff as well as other City departments as needed such as Information Technology, By-Law Enforcement and Water Services. Alignment with Guelph Water Services SCADA policies and guidelines where possible is expected. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will support operational improvements and continual improvement of the City’s critical Wastewater system infrastructure while aiding in the achievement of the community vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Analyze and troubleshoot operating software, hardware and communications malfunctions to determine problems and take appropriate corrective action.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of the SCADA system disaster recovery plan, SCADA policies, levels of service and operating procedures.
- Assist with coordination of the facility security program, develop and implement operational warnings and alarms based on Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) regulatory requirements and discussions with Wastewater staff.
- Maintain, upgrade and update SCADA graphic displays, historical data, tag name standards and real-time databases. Review and improve standards on a regular basis and establish standards where they do not yet exist in consultation with relevant staff and management including alignment with Water Services SCADA standards where possible.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) related to SCADA and security for staff in consultation with key staff and management.
- Prepare and update the preventative maintenance and replacement program for all SCADA and security assets including hardware and software.
- Perform checks and preventative maintenance where appropriate on SCADA servers, virtual server environments, network equipment, network security, and communications.
- Develop daily, weekly, monthly, and annual reports for Operational, Corporate and MECP needs as regulated or requested by various personnel and develop and maintain SCADA manuals for all components within the SCADA-HMI-LAN environment.
- Maintain, update and configure SCADA system computers, file servers, SCADA Internal Ethernet and serial networks, network switches including SCADA related & network architecture drawings for all applicable Wastewater facilities.
- Assist with the procurement of major services, materials, supplies, and equipment, develops and supports service agreements and contracts, develops and awards Tenders, RFP’s, RFQ’s and manages increases in scope to existing projects.
- Assist with developing formal project documents including Project Charters, Schedules, Risk Registers, and Business Cases, amongst others, and ensures project management rigour consistent with protocols of the City’s Project Management Office and PMI.
- Support continuous improvement at Wastewater Services through SCADA and security systems and support their Quality Management System in this process.
- Support Wastewater staff and management in meeting Guelph Wastewater’s commitments to MECP data reporting.
- Develop and support reports and performance dashboards to analyze Wastewater key performance indicators.
- Support asset management programs in the areas of SCADA and security in coordination with Wastewater Maintenance, the CMMS Specialist and other appropriate staff.
- Liaise with Supervisors, external consultants, city staff and contractors to review new or modified programming for various related processes.
- Participate in the Management on-call roster and respond to after hour’s emergencies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in SCADA programming and maintenance for Water or Wastewater Utilities. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of industrial computer hardware (i.e., PLCs) and software applications, computer languages, programming, process control, automation processes, development tools and data communications systems.
- Knowledge of computer networking, security applications and operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows 7 & 8 & 10, Windows Server, and Cisco IOS.
- Familiarity with security systems in Wastewater utility systems using SCADA principles.
- Familiar with network administration, routing, firewalls, DMZs, network, cyber security measures and legacy communications methods (eg. Allen Bradley DH+)
- Understanding of real time process control applications such as: GE Proficy iFIX, Win911, Visual Basic, GE Proficy iFix Historian, ClearSCADA, Ladder logic programming (RSLogix 5, 500, 5000).
- Knowledge of published industry SCADA standards and related technical reports, including ISA5.1, ISA18.2/IEC62682, ISA-95/IEC62264, ISA101, and ISA/IEC62443.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills, including an ability to analyze, diagnose, and resolve system hardware and software problems.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate technical details (eg. events, root cause analysis) with all levels of staff, stakeholders and consultants.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Eng., C.E.T., PMP and/or ISA CAP (Certified Automation Professional) designation is considered an asset.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday April 28, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.