The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Wastewater Collection Operator within the Wastewater Services Division. The successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Participates in all aspects and functions of the maintenance, operation, rehabilitation and repair of the wastewater collection system; including mains, laterals, siphons, force mains, lift stations, and maintenance points.
- Responds to wastewater related calls such as blockages, odour complaints, and lift station failures; assesses the situation, determine and take proper action to resolve problem.
- Maintains computerized (CMMS) and manual records related to the maintenance, operation and repair of the wastewater collection system.
- Reviews, investigates and comments on engineering plans.
- Provide wastewater system inspection of completed capital and development projects.
- Operates and maintains a variety of specialized equipment including combination sewer flusher/vacuum/hydro excavation unit, CCTV inspection equipment, pipeline cleaning, locating and trenchless rehabilitation.
- Remove obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment.
- Utilizes GIS and provides updates including asset location and attribute information.
- Perform confined space entries to inspect, maintain or repair the wastewater collection system.
- Comply with all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures and requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 1 – 2 years’ experience operating tools and equipment relevant to sewer maintenance and drainage activities. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must currently possess MECP Operator in Training (OIT) Certification for Wastewater Collection.
- A valid Class DZ drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and CVOR prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- An aptitude for computers is required to utilize CMMS, GIS and in order to effectively monitor and control processes using automatic controls and the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA).
- Knowledge of wastewater collection systems and sewer maintenance activities.
- Able to interpret wastewater collection system drawings and mapping.
- Knowledge of pumps, controls and related lift station components.
- Able to perform physical requirements to safely and effectively perform required duties, including heavy manual labour in adverse conditions over long periods of time. (E.g. lifting, bending, kneeling work in confined spaces, trenches and in all types of conditions including inclement weather).
- PACP/MACP/LACP certification would be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships within a team oriented environment.
- Must have the ability to operate a variety of tools and equipment.
- Must be a reliable self-starter able to work alone and/or with supervision.
- Familiarity with basic pipe fitting and equipment used in sewer excavations, maintenance and cleaning.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer
Class 1: $29.71 per hour
Class 2: $30.49 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday November 15, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.