The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting the Supervisor – Aquatics, you will provide assistance with the set up and operation of the wading pools in the City of Guelph. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Coordinate and deliver all wading pool specific training and orientation sessions, and support other city mandated training for summer wading pool staff
- Ensure effective delivery, planning, supervision and evaluation of aquatics programs and services
- Provide ongoing support to the entire wading pool team, act as a resource person and leader
- Assist with coaching and evaluation of staff, provide coaching for improved performance
- Visit each site location regularly and provide on-site support to wading pool staff
- Assist with the day to day operation of Lyon Leisure Pool in the absence of the Aquatic Programmer
- Respond to customer inquiries in a timely manner
- Intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and Perfect Mind
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relation skills
- Excellent knowledge of Occupational health and safety act and of the operation of wading pools
- Other duties as assigned
- Must possess good team skills and have a focus on quality customer service
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Experience working as an Wading Pool Attendant is consider an asset
- Standard First Aid with CPR C certification
- Wading Pool Attendant or National Lifeguard certification
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- A current Drivers Abstract is required immediately after an offer has been made and must be dated no earlier than the offer date.
- A current Police Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check is required immediately after an offer has been made and must be dated no earlier than the offer date.
Hours of work
- Sunday to Saturday, any five (5) days
- Up to 40 hours a week
- You will be scheduled for most weekends of the summer
$17.20 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.