The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Transportation Safety Specialist. Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Engineering, this position will support the City’s transportation programs and the launch and implementation of the council approved Community Road Safety Strategy.
You will provide support, strategic advice and expertise for successful delivery of projects, including collision data analysis, traffic and active transportation data programs, and programs and services to enhance the safety of all road users. This role will also include using your technical and interpersonal skill sets to facilitate training and workshops, assist with progress updates, document management, and preparing communication materials.
The position will be responsible for supporting the planning and operation of the overall municipal transportation system, including active and sustainable transportation. You will work with operational and technical teams, corporate teams and external organizations to ensure a smooth project flow, timely work completion and that all requirements are met.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Define, create and implement a Community Road Safety Strategy for the City of Guelph.
- Manage the analysis, assessment and development of applicable traffic regulations and traffic engineering operational plans in compliance with Provincial regulations and City standards.
- Create, implement and manage a multi-modal transportation safety program to improve safety of all road users.
- Improve and expand the Sustainable Transportation data collection program to integrate it with existing data collection efforts and to leverage emerging technology.
- Investigate and prepare recommendations for all transportation and traffic safety related issues.
- Propose and implement safety measures, regulations and develop new collision and injury prevention programs.
- Prepare projects and proposals to increase public safety and ensure efficient movement of people and goods.
- Provide technical data to support transportation management and road safety design and policy decisions.
- Review traffic collisions and incidents to initiate corrective and preventive actions; recommend policy changes, including specific policies focused on risk exposure of frontline staff and external contractors to reduce collisions and limit liability exposure.
- Prepare reports and make presentations for public meetings and City Council.
- Manage the development and distribution of public information related to traffic flow.
- Analyze traffic data to identify patterns and trends to recommend transportation network improvements.
- Respond to public and stakeholder inquiries in a timely and sensitive manner.
- Other related duties as required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in Analytics, Policy Planning, Transportation, Civil Engineering or Transportation Engineering or a related discipline and experience implementing transportation safety programs. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Good problem solving, planning, project management, analytical and research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills to deliver projects as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for working with and providing support to staff, colleagues, clients, and management to ensure that all program and project requirements are addressed.
- Excellent communication skills to program and standards documents.
- Experience with computerized Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Transportation Engineering Software (TES), Microsoft Office and database application development.
- Understanding of vision zero, complete streets, and sustainable mobility principles.
- Knowledge of project management principles/practices.
- Periodic travel to various locations across the city is a requirement of this position.
$41.55-$51.94 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday, January 20, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.