The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Transit Services Business Specialist within the Transit Services Department reporting to the Manager of Transit Business Services. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for assisting the City’s Transit Services with a variety of financial, analytical and research support including operating and capital budgets and variance reporting. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan, Corporate Leadership Charter and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Develops and maintains a solid understanding of Transit business activities and how they impact financial processes and planning
- Understands departmental financial business needs and recommends on-going improvements including financial systems, revenue collection processes and financial policies as they relate to Transit Business Services
- Work with the Manager of Transit Business Services and the Financial Corporate Analyst with the development and preparation of all budget documentation including operating and capital budgets and variance reporting
- Work with the Guelph Transit Management team and the Financial Corporate Analyst with special projects such as PTIF and ICIP
- Regular analytical review of department’s major expenditures and revenues to ensure accuracy and identify concerns to Manager of Business Services
- Identify and make recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of processes for revenue collection of Transit fare media, administrative procedures and policies as they relate to financial processes and controls
- Compiles information and maintains complex databases for tracking and reporting of performance information as required.
- Gathers and analyzes legislation in order to propose transit policy alternatives and strategies in order to prepare draft findings reports and assists in making recommendations.
- Analyzes processes, procedures, operating systems, and work methods and recommends improvements to enhance efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Assist management in business case development, scoping and implementation of special projects by providing financial support such as statistics, financial projections including operating costs and revenues of route expansions
- Perform annual review of revenues and expenditures to ensure aligned with council approved revenue to cost ratio and provide projected increase to revenues and ridership with proposed fare increases
- Assists in the preparation of statistics requested by external parties such as CUTA and Statistics Canada
- Responsible for approving financial transactions, accounts receivable, accounts payable, invoices ensuring compliance with city financial policies and procedures.
- Liaises with departments within the City of Guelph to monitor processes and system compliance.
- Assists with internal investigations and drafting official policy documents for Guelph Transit.
- Provide management support in the absence of the Manager of Transit Business Services
- Acts as a resource to public, city departments and other organizations on transit projects/ programs.
- May be required to backfill for the position of Manager – Transit Business Services during times of absence or as it relates to transits succession planning modelling process.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree in Finance/Accounting, Business Administration or a related discipline and considerable experience in a related financial role, preferably within the public sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- An accounting designation would be considered an asset
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding customer service focused environment.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Ability to prepare complex statistical reports, correspondence, policies and procedures and other written materials.
- Experience in auditing and performing internal financial control reviews
- Advanced skills with financial reporting software , JD Edwards experience preferred
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize projects to meet deadlines
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies.
- Ability to prepare, update and maintain financial records.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and unquestionable integrity.
$37.069- $ 46.337 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday September 22, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.