The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Manager of Operations, Water Services this position conducts research, analysis, lead projects and provide support and advice to management and reports on programs related to the efficiency of the water distribution and water treatment facility management and maintenance programs. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Reviews technical reports and recommendations, initiates urgent or emergency repairs, reviews and recommends repairs and alterations to the drinking water systems.
- Provides operations technical support and assists with process improvements and efficiencies
- Monitors, reviews, and analyzes water operations data to ensure compliance, process effectiveness and water quality to identify abnormal operating conditions, trends, potential efficiencies, and opportunities for improvement
- Responsible for developing, implementing, planning, scheduling, coordinating and monitoring of operations and maintenance programs executed by staff and/or contractors
- Assists in the maintenance and administration of related conformance, compliance, maintenance, and environmental management systems
- Ensure the completion of daily maintenance and water quality analyses occurs per regulations and communicate any issues to the Supervisor
- Work closely with Supervisors and Lead Hands to support efficient scheduling of emergency and upcoming work activities that result in enhanced reliability.
- Optimize Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) activities, maintain and operate a formal representative maintenance program including development of KPIs to measure and continually improve plant reliability.
- Inspect and evaluate work being performed by contractors, provide necessary documentation to contract administration on reliability and effectiveness of work performed.
- Responsible for procurement activities including the development and execution of specifications/tenders/contracts/RFP’s and related purchasing functions
- Participate in the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures and work instructions and provide input for the preparation of annual operation and capital budgets
- Responsible for writing reports and memos for customers, staff, senior management, Council and regulatory agencies as well as SOP’s, technical specifications, and work instructions
- Liaise with other City departments, MECP, MOL, other municipalities, vendors, contractors, consultants, and other stakeholders as required
- Provide support and collaboration for the delivery of plant related capital works including the co-ordination of these works with ongoing plant operational activities
- Support Operations Supervisor by providing recommendations for budget preparation, project identification, and maintenance activities based on troubleshooting, to plan and communicate daily work assignments to direct reports
- Provide back-up coverage for other management staff; act as the system Overall Responsible Operator and participate on the management on-call roster
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a diploma/degree in Environmental Sciences or Engineering or a closely related field and experience in water treatment and distribution system operations. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Possess a Class 1 Water Treatment Certificate with the ability to obtain a Class 2 certificate within 18 months of date of hire.
- Possess a Class 3 Water Distribution and Supply or Distribution Certificate with the ability to obtain a Class 4 Certificate within 18 months of date of hire.
- Experience gathering data, analyzing and developing recommendations to prepare technical reports
- Ability to oversee operating and capital budget
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record and access to a vehicle. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills to analyze data, perform calculations with the ability to apply analytical tools and techniques
- Understanding of advanced data analytical techniques such as data preparation and analysis, data cleaning, extraction and interpretation.
- Technical knowledge of the operation of groundwater treatment and distribution systems
- Knowledge of water industry and municipal and provincial regulations related to water treatment operation and maintenance and environmental compliance
- Knowledge of related provincial legislative, regulatory and policy framework, and ability to interpret and translate into program options for the Department
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation and specifications
- Familiarity with preventative/predictive maintenance techniques and computerized maintenance management systems is required
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Effective time management, decision-making, planning skills to manage a diverse workload within a fast-paced environment
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook),
- Ability to develop and oversee a CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) with experience using electronic database systems, knowledge of maintenance principles, practices, concepts and options
- Excellent leadership, planning, organizational skills, and the ability to direct/coordinate activities.
- Ability to work effectively on your own and in a team environment.
- Exert effort to lift, push, pull, or carry objects for short periods of time. Bend, crouch, and kneel as well as a combination of sitting, standing and walking.
- Previous experience with SCADA systems, water quality and environmental information databases, ArcGIS and Hydraulic Modelling would be an asset.
- Plant Engineering Maintenance Association of Canada (PEMAC) – Maintenance Management Program (MMP) Certification would be an asset
$40.78-$50.97 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday November 15, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.