The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Supervisor, Scheduling and Service Planning – Transit Services, reporting to the General Manager, Guelph Transit. The supervisor will oversee the Scheduling and Service Planning division. The successful candidate will set a visible and positive leadership example while supporting continuous improvement efforts. This position will make a positive contribution to the department’s delivery of service excellence to the millions of passengers who choose Guelph Transit as their preferred mode of transportation each year. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provide leadership in the establishment of long-term direction and strategic orientation in the delivery of Transit service consistent with the mission, core values, goals and strategies of the Corporation.
- Manage service delivery to operate at peak efficiency and effectiveness, responsible for the efficient deployment of driver and vehicle resources to all routes and schedules.
- Provide planning for future service delivery – new bus routes and schedules, etc.; prepare and effect route and schedule changes.
- Evaluating and reporting on current and future ridership, revenue and other performance
- Create a motivated, supportive and accountable work environment that is working towards continuous improvement (work methods, problem solving and staff development).
- Provides supervision, recruitment, training, development and address and performance issues with assigned staff.
- Provide the Manager and General Manager with annual report measuring compliance with approved service standards and recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure compliance with Council approved Service Standards.
- Provide input to Transit operating and capital budgets and strive for continuous incremental improvement in cost effectiveness and fiscal accountability.
- Recommend & manage new technologies and products to improve ridership, service delivery and service planning (i.e. Advanced Transit Management System, scheduling software, etc.).
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and provincial regulations/legislation and City by-laws.
- Provide advice and reports on service design/development and evaluation issues for presentation to Council and Community representatives/partners.
- Oversee run sign-ups as required, including blocking vehicles and reporting vehicle needs and runcutting blocks into driver’s schedules.
- Provide route-planning advice to Engineering, Planning, and Traffic as well as internally related to new subdivisions, events, construction after interpretation of all related data including route directness, stop spacing, coverage/walking distances, timing, length, safety, etc.
- In conjunction with Engineering, tenders for concrete/accessible pad installations.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Business Administration, Transportation Management, Geography or a related discipline.
- Experience related to scheduling and planning in a public transit, logistics or other transportation related business a transit or transportation setting. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience motivating, training, and supervising staff preferably in in a unionized environment.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding customer service focus environment.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other City Departments, ATU membership and executive, other transit properties and the public.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies.
- Ability to manage large projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Knowledge of transportation scheduling methods, techniques, principles, and practices of transportation scheduling.
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- CUTA scheduling and run cutting training would be an asset.
- Experience utilizing electronic scheduling software is an asset.
- Knowledge of Trapeze software an asset.
$40.78 – $50.97 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday September 22, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.