The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – Programs and the Summer Camp Program Facilitator, successful candidates will plan and coordinate the Leadership Programs, including site placements for all participants. The Recreation Division is seeking a Summer Leadership Team Leader who has direct experience working with youth in a camp program setting.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Prepare and implement training sessions for the LIT1, LIT2 and Leadership Development programs and ensure that the Summer Program Guidelines and Procedures are taught and adhered to in the classroom and on sites
- Ensure that understanding, encouragement and a positive experience is provided for each child
- Obtain all resources and people required for the training sessions
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of the training/orientation sessions for all summer camp staff
- Maintain supervision of onsite LITs. Support, offer encouragement, supervise, evaluate and assist where necessary, as often as possible
- As a coach, communicate effectively, maintain open lines of communication and help develop skills in others
- With the assistance of the Camp Team Leader, complete , collect and record the appraisals and give hiring recommendations for all leadership participants
- Currently completing high school or attending post-secondary education, with an interest in pursuing further education in the field of Recreation, Child Studies, Social Services or related field
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A valid Standard First Aid & CPR C certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Full availability is required for training in June and the full summer (June- September)
- Minimum 1 year experience working with youth in a recreational/camp setting. Preference will be given to those with City of Guelph camp experience
Hours of work
These are seasonal positions, with training hours beginning in June and operating full-time hours starting last week of June and ending the Friday before Labour Day weekend in September. Evening and Weekend training shifts required in June. Full time hours applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional weekend shifts may be required training. 40-42 hours per week.
$16.29 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.