Recreation staff at the City are the heart of the services and programs we offer. You are motivated, you work hard and you like to have fun. You will play an important part in providing the kids and families we work with an unforgettable experience. Create your own amazing summer when you join our team. Make new friends, learn new skills and enjoy a new adventure everyday – we promise, it will be something to remember.
Why join our team?
- Develop your leadership and customer service skills
- Opportunities for advancement and growth
- Flexible work schedules- work at one or a combination of locations
- Paid training
- Discounts on additional certifications/recertification
- Inclusive work environment
What to bring to our team?
- A positive attitude
- The ability to react calmly and positively to changing environments and situations
- Enthusiasm for working with people of all ages and abilities
- Current qualifications as outlined below for your desired role
Please Note: City of Guelph will provide a discounted rate for those requiring Standard First Aid with CPR C certification prior to start date. A Criminal Reference Check including Vulnerable Sector Check will also be required at the time of hiring.
Hours of Work: 20-35 hours per week
Wading Pool Attendant
As a Wading Pool Attendant you will be responsible for the opening and closing of the wading pools at Market Square or Sunny Acres and Exhibition Park. This role allows you to work with the community each day as you supervise their swim, and ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.
- Qualifications: Standard First Aid with CPR C and Bronze Cross
- Pay rate: $15.15
As an Assistant Instructor you will teach alongside an Instructor Guard during our learn to swim programming. You will have the opportunity to assist in the skill development of children, as they learn new skills and become more confident in the water.
- Qualifications: Standard First Aid with CPR C, Bronze Cross, Assistant Instructors
- Pay rate: $15.15
As an Instructor Guard you will be delivering the Lifesaving Society learn to swim programming. You will have the opportunity to teach participants from as young as four months old to seniors looking to learn how to swim. This role also allows you to continue to develop your safety supervision skills as you guard a variety of swims.
- Qualifications: Standard First Aid with CPR C, Lifesaving Society Swim and Instructors, National Lifeguard
- Pay rate: $17.40
As a Deck Supervisor you are responsible for overseeing the Assistant and Instructor Guard team. You will lead a strong team delivering our learn to swim programs and guarding our swims. This role allows you to develop your leadership and communication skills as you work closely with the aquatic team, and community members.
- Qualifications: Standard First Aid with CPR C, Lifesaving Society Swim and Instructors, National Lifeguard, Examiners
- Pay rate: $ 20.95
As an Aquatic Programmer you will work closely with the Lyon Leisure Pool aquatic team as well as the Wading Pool Attendants. You will complete staff scheduling, facilitate staff training and be a first point of contact for the other members of our team. This role allows you to develop your training, coaching and mentoring skills as well as scheduling and program planning.
- Qualifications: Standard First Aid with CPR C, Lifesaving Society Swim and Instructors, National Lifeguard, Examiners, and preferably at least one advanced leadership qualification (ie. National Lifeguard Instructors, Instructor Trainer, Standard First Aid Instructor
- Pay rate: $ 21.70
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by January 30, 2022. Please follow the instructions and follow all steps to the process. In order to be considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document (PDF format preferred). If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
Please click on the Apply job button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.