Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – Programs, the Summer Camp Facilitators and Camp Team Leader, successful candidates will be placed at a city of Guelph camp location/site(s) and plan and deliver dynamic programs and activities for children of all abilities.
The Recreation Division is seeking Summer Camp Counsellors who have direct experience working with children in a day camp program setting.
- Work cooperatively with all staff, volunteers and LITs in developing the team to its full potential
- Take appropriate precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all children
- Provide understanding, encouragement and a positive experience for each child
- Assist with all aspects of programming including planning, set up/take down, running programs, active participation and evaluation
- Establish and enforce rules, report any accidents to Team Leaders and complete all necessary reporting forms
- Work cooperatively to modify and adjust programming activities for inclusive participation of all
- Currently in high school or attending post-secondary education, with an interest in gaining further experience in child development, recreation or social services field
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A valid Standard First Aid & CPR C certification (willing to obtain prior to commencement of summer camp programs)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Participation and/or experience in previous Leadership Training
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Full availability is required for training in June and the full summer (June 29-September 4)
- Experience with STEM programming an asset
These are seasonal positions, with training hours beginning in June and operating full-time hours starting last week of June and ending the week before Labour Day weekend in September. Full time hours applies to daytime weekly programs (Mon-Fri). Occasional shifts required on a Saturday for training. 40-42 hours per week. Mandatory training dates are listed below.
- June 6, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 10,11, 4:30pm-9:00pm
- June 20, 9:00am-12:00pm
- June 25, 9:00am-4:00pm
- June 26, 9:00am-12:00pm
- 4 hours online training
- 3 hours paid planning time in June
Rate of Pay
$14.25/hr (2019 rates)
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday January 20, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.