The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Hours of work
This position will require working rotating shifts:
8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
4:00 pm to 12:00am Monday to Friday
- Source, order, receive, and verify shipment of both inventory and non-inventory supplies, equipment and parts consisting of different and distinct product lines (automotive/equipment, hardware, traffic signs, safety wear and consumables) on an emergency, rush, or as needed basis
- Create purchase orders and/or requisition as per the City of Guelph Purchasing Policy
- Dispense inventories and direct purchase parts and supplies to fleet repair personnel
- Dispense inventory items to authorized personnel from other City of Guelph work groups
- Charge all parts issued and/or ordered to appropriate work order or cost centre
- Post inventory transactions to computerized inventory system and monitor inventory levels
- Maintain optimum parts stocking levels to ensure that fast parts are in stock at all times
- Perform monthly reconciliation for Stores visa card and for petty cash purchases
- Establish and maintain optimum min/max levels for all stocked parts
- Perform periodic cycle counts to ensure accuracy of inventory levels
- Utilizes a forklift and/or pallet truck to receive and distribute materials such as oil drums, catch basins, paper products etc.
- Conducts and reconciles annual physical inventory counts
- Ensure a safe and clean environment within the stores area
- Assist Fleet Administrative Staff with processing of shop work orders as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Minimum Grade 12 education is required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above which includes 2 – 3 years hands-on experience managing and coordinating parts inventory in a stores/part department environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Must be able to work on your own and in a team environment.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of inventory management (min/max levels) and part sourcing practices.
- Post-secondary education/training related to inventory control would be an asset.
- Must possess intermediate computer skills including database management systems for inventory control.
- Must be licensed, or willing to obtain licence as forklift operator.
- Ability to work in fast pace environment and provide quick efficient service to shop repair personnel.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to deal with the public in a cordial manner and work well in a team environment.
- Must be able to physically perform strenuous and repetitive work in a safe manner including but not limited to heavy lifting, various levels of standing, climbing, sitting & crouching as required.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
$28.31 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday November 17, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.