The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Sorter within the Solid Waste Resources Division. Reporting to the Supervisor, Process Operations the successful candidate will sort materials from incoming waste at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Hours of work
Any five (5) consecutive shifts of eight (8) consecutive hours, Monday through Saturday between 6:30 am and 11:30 pm.
- Manually sort materials from incoming wastes at sorting stations throughout the MRF, lift materials from conveyers and drop into appropriate areas.
- Manually remove recyclable or reject material from various areas of the MRF.
- Visually inspect recovered materials for product quality and remove contaminants as necessary.
- Transport material storage bins from sort rooms to various area of the MRF.
- Clean sorting and other areas of the plant including tipping floor and storage areas.
- Comply with all applicable regulations policies and procedures.
- Communicate by two way radio on an “as needed” basis.
- Through direction of other staff, start and stop equipment as needed.
- Identify production enhancements.
- Other related duties as assigned, including inter-changing job functions.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 3-6 months experience in a manufacturing production line related work environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, bending and standing for long periods of time).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A valid Class G drivers licence and possess a good driving record would be an asset.
$15.58 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.