The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Site Operator within the Solid Waste Resources Division. The successful candidate will be part of the Site Operations team which operates and provides compliance related support for the site at the Waste Resource Innovation Centre with a focus on quality customer service. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Maintain the Public Drop Off Areas and assist customers in a professional and courteous manner with their needs including advice and guidance (e.g. greeting, responding to operational questions, conveying information on City/site policies and procedures) on the materials they are disposing of.
- Operating heavy equipment to load outbound trailers, manage PDO bin materials and perform winter control activities.
- Operate equipment such as genie booms, backhoes, lawn mowers, snow plows etc.
- Operate Weigh Scales using the weigh scale system such as Paradigm. Ensure accurate data entry for compliance reporting.
- Operate and balance a cash drawer.
- Maintain landscape areas, trim trees, cut grass etc.
- Pick up litter on site and surrounding areas as per the site Environmental Compliance Approval.
- Direct traffic at various locations on site.
- Removal of obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interferes with the safe operation of vehicles and equipment.
- Operate the Household Hazardous Waste Depot as required.
- Comply with all City regulations, policies and procedures including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Comply with all regulations and requirements of the various Environmental Compliance Approvals as granted by the Ministry of the Environment for the Waste Resource Innovation Centre.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 1-2 years’ experience – operating equipment (e.g. loaders, forklifts or skid steer). Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with landscaping equipment (e.g. push movers, riding mowers, weed trimmers) and snow removal (e.g. snow plows/blowers).
- Experience in customer service and handling cash transactions (e.g. operating a cash register, reconciling and balancing).
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with the public and internal city staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) with good keyboarding skills and the ability to operate the weigh scale system in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Ability to provide advice and direction and problem solve customer concerns.
- Must be able to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, walking and working in all types of weather conditions).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must be able to work alone and with supervision.
- Experience using a computerized weigh scale system would be an asset.
- A valid ‘DZ’ licence would also be an asset.
$26.85 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday April 21, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.