The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the temporary positions of Sidewalk Winter Control Operators within the Public Works Department. Committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, successful candidates will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
This role is required to work during or following snow storms for shifts ranging from 4 to 12 hours in duration. Hours will be as needed on a call-In basis, Sunday through Saturday up to a maximum of 12 hours per day and 60 hours per week. Ability to respond to the work site within a reasonable response time is required. On-call may be a requirement of this position.
This is a temporary position working from approximately the end of November 2018 to approximately mid-April 2019.
- Operate equipment relating to Sidewalk Winter Control operations including but not limited to Sidewalk Plow with Plow Blade or Snow Blower Attachment.
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Complete daily logs and time sheets.
- Report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, equipment/property damage, etc.
- Report variances to daily work plans.
- Comply with all applicable regulations/requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- You must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record and have held such licence for the past 5 years. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Experience with relevant equipment such as snow blowers, sidewalk plows, farm tractors, skid steers and pick-up trucks with a plow would be an asset.
- Self-motivated with the ability to communicate in a cordial and professional manner.
- Able to perform physical labour including lifting and shovelling.
- Mechanically inclined with strong attention to detail.
Rate of pay
$25.04 per hour
Mandatory Orientation: You will be required to attend an orientation session which is expected to be scheduled for October 2018. Further details will be provided.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note first consideration will be given to those applications received by September 4, 2018.
Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.