The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Seasonal Licensed Industrial Electrician within Parks. Reporting to the Program Manager, Parks Infrastructure and Construction the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining Park facilities in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Perform minor and major electrical repairs of equipment and utilities, including UV equipment, Antique Carousel, pumps, irrigation systems, electrical and mechanical operation of clocks and timers, and electrical set-up for Special Events.
- Inspect, maintain, and repair sports field lighting.
- Design, layout, and install electrical projects.
- Maintain electrical equipment inspection records and certify compliance with computerized Preventive Maintenance program.
- Liaise with mechanical/electrical contractors and suppliers.
- Liaise with electrical safety authority as required.
- Ensure that all safety and operational procedures are followed during work performance;
- Assist Operations staff in isolation and start-up of equipment.
- Assist in accumulating data to support Maintenance Management System program.
- Manage work orders and time keeping through Maintenance Management System program.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean, and tidy condition, and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner.
- Remove and/or flag obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment, and duly note and report such conditions to a Lead hand or Supervisor.
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, The Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Complete daily activity time sheets; Report on variances in daily work plans.
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties and damage.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must hold a valid Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Electrician licence.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through 4 to 5 years industrial/commercial mechanical systems and equipment experience.
- Confined Space entry and non-entry rescue certification required prior to start date.
- Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required prior to start date.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to deal with internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Must be able to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, walking, climbing, push and pull and working in all types of weather conditions).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications.
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (WAM) would be an asset.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and high areas.
- Knowledge of utility locating software an asset.
- Knowledge of Electric Distribution systems and Motor Controls.
- Knowledge with UPS systems and back-up Generators would be an asset.
$33.67 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday March 3, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.