The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Seasonal Facility Maintainer within the Culture and Recreation Department-Recreation Services. Reporting to the Supervisor, Recreation Facility Operations, the successful candidate will safely perform a wide variety of duties related to facility maintenance and facility operations, within Recreation facilities including a seniors centre, a pottery centre, 2 multi-purpose Community Centres containing aquatic centres, arenas, and multipurpose rooms, and stand-alone arenas and pools including one outdoor pool and an air-supported dome. In addition, the position will competently and safely use a variety of equipment and vehicles to perform ice, floor, pool and facility maintenance including ice resurfacers, hand and power tools. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies and practices, and legislated requirements with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
Hours of work
40 hours per week. Any five (5) shifts of eight (8) consecutive hours 6:00 am to 4:00 pm or 3:00 pm to 1 am Sunday through Saturday. Shifts are a requirement of this position.
- Performs ice plant, aquatic centre, building equipment and general facility repair duties to ensure high-calibre maintenance and operation of facilities.
- Maintain facility quality and ensures safety by adhering to predetermined building standard operating procedures.
- Act as a resource person to customers and the facility teams and provides superior customer service.
- Assists in the coordination of building or system repairs/services with internal City departments, and external contractors and service companies.
- Communicates regularly with team members and user groups of facilities.
- Access facility schedules through Perfect Mind software, and coordinate all equipment/set up/take down requirements.
- Reports and follows up on all building incidents as per established protocols.
- Ensures all logbooks (pool testing, snow removal, etc.) are updated regularly and accurately per corporate procedures, industry standards, and legislated requirements.
- Troubleshoots and makes adjustments to mechanical, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, roof systems and handling systems; assists in maintaining energy management systems.
- Performs non-complex repairs such as carpentry, painting, masonry and drywall.
- Assists in the preparation of statistical information of building use.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and one-year current experience in a recreation environment (e.g. arena and pool) operating an ice re-surfacer and performing building maintenance. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, refrigeration, painting, roofing systems and handling systems, masonry and drywall.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid First Aid/CPR Certificate.
- Knowledge of the Ontario Health and Safety Act.
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other team members.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact with internal and external contacts/customers on a daily basis.
- Effective communication skills.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shovelling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, and in all types of weather conditions.
- Have or the ability to obtain the Certified Ice Technician (CIT) and the Certified Aquatic Technician (CAT) designations within 6 months of hire.
- Basic Refrigeration training would be an asset.
- B Certification or completion of the Refrigerator Operator – RB1 exam and RB2 exam would be an asset.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check would be required at the time of offer.
$27.80 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.