The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Route Supervisor – Transit Services, reporting to the Manager, Transit Operations. This position is responsible for the daily overseeing of conventional and mobility operators and routes. The successful candidate will set a visible and positive leadership example while supporting continuous improvement efforts. You will make a positive contribution to the department’s delivery of service excellence to the millions of passengers who choose Guelph Transit as their preferred mode of transportation each year. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
- Responsible for front line supervision of all daily operations related to the duties of a conventional and mobility operator and the AVL control room activities consistent with the Transit Services mandate, values, goals and strategies of the Corporation and the collective agreement.
- Provide coaching, training and counseling and oversight in the planning and implementation of service delivery operations.
- Provides visible and positive leadership to union and non-unionized staff consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and fostering a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating towards all employees.
- Effectively manages day-to-day labour relations issues.
- Provide hands-on Customer Service daily while meeting our customers’ expectation.
- Responds to and investigates all customer complaints and ensures appropriate follow-up with operators and customers.
- Ensures accurate ongoing records retention and confidential statistics on driver’s payroll information related to work hours, over time, absenteeism, lateness, service cancellations, delays/gaps, reasons for service disruptions and other operational information.
- To be available as a resource for all employees by being accessible at all times while on duty.
- Proactively manage service delivery to operate at peak efficiency of drivers and transit equipment related to all routes and schedules.
- To effectively manage the AVL control room activities including the use of the Transit-Master radio communications system, Trapeze applications, CAD /AVL system and all associated components.
- Daily scheduling and adjusting of all open shifts.
- Assist in the development and initiation of Standard Operating Procedures and benchmarking and measurement of service delivery and quality of service expectations.
- Coordination on all daily issues while working with all management team members, including other Supervisors and managers and be an integral part of the Transit management team.
- Manage and process all information received from operators and employees on operational issues.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and provincial regulations/legislation and City by-laws and the collective agreement.
- Attends and investigates all transit related issues, collisions and completes all required reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate and considerable experience in a transit or transportation setting. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience with a CAD/AVL operations management system (Trapeze preferred).
- Experience in motivating, training, and supervising staff in a unionized, sensitive environment.
- A valid Class BZ drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and CVOR prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills and multi-tasking with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding customer service focus environment.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook Access).
- A team player with excellent leadership skills.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Shifts are a requirement of this position with the ability to work a variety of shifts that cover a 24-hour period 7 days per week including holidays.
$37.069 – $46.337 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday December 18, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.