Recreation Program Lead Instructors & Program Instructors (Part time)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
The City of Guelph Recreation Division offers a variety of recreation program for people of all ages and abilities in weekly sessions throughout the school year.
Reporting to the Recreation Coordinator – General Programs, successful candidates will lead or help facilitate preschool, children, youth or family programming.
HOURS OF WORK:
Depending on the program(s) the instructor is hired for, the hours will include the program time (which is generally anywhere between 1 and 5 hours) and up to a half hour for preparation and half hour for take down each session.
We are looking for program staff in the following areas/skill sets:
- Children’s Theatre programs:
Mondays 4:15-7:00pm, River Run Centre
Kinder Theatre (5-8 years)
Junior Theatre (8-13 years)
- Dance programs:
Saturdays 9:15am-12:30pm, West End Community Centre
Kids in Motion 1 (3-5 years)
Ballet (3-6 years and 7-10 years)
- Children’s Art programs:
Mondays 4:30-8:00pm, Victoria Road Recreation Centre
Mess Makers (4-6 years), Amazing Art (6-12 years)
Thursdays 5:30-7:30pm, West End Community Centre
Paint, Pastels and Pencils (6-12 years)
Fridays 5-7pm, Victoria Rd Recreation Centre
Art Make N’ Take (6-12)
Program descriptions are viewable on our website under Preschool and Children’s programs at guelph.ca/recenroll
- Create a welcoming environment for all participants
- Lead/assist with all aspects of programming including planning, preparation and set up/take down.
- Lead activities and fully engage with participants in all activities.
- Communicate with the program team and participant’s support person/family, as appropriate
- Provide fully inclusive program to participants of all abilities and understanding and encouragement to each child
- Ensure participant confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with specified age group for programs
- Familiarity in working with participants of all abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain within 3 months)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Standard first Aid with CPR C.
- Full availability is required for scheduled program day and time
Program Instructors: $ 14.54-14.96 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by Sunday, October 24, 2021 by sending their cover letter and resume as one document (pdf or word) by email at [email protected].
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
For more information about some of the programs we are hiring for, please reference programs listed in preschool, children’s and youth sections in the Guelph Community Guide at guelph.ca/recreation
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.