The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
35 hours a week from August to April. Hours of work will vary depending on specific demands of the job, includes evenings, weekends and holidays, flexible schedule.
- Overseeing all phases of the Sleeman Centre concessions including food production and presentation and ensure that quality and safety standards are met, service distinctiveness is promoted and available resources are utilized efficiently to promote maximum quality and profitability.
- Ensure that staffing and food and beverage costs are monitored and controlled for the Sleeman Centre concessions and vending operation. Take steps to immediately rectify the situation if problems are discovered.
- Assist the Supervisor of Food and Beverage Services in the recruitment, training, mentoring and provide daily leadership to all concession and inventory staff.
- Prepare work schedules for all concession, inventory and vending staff as directed by the Supervisor.
- Assist in the creation, planning and execution of all concession and vending menus.
- Achieve customer satisfaction through courteous, prompt and efficient service including the resolution of customer concerns.
- Ensure all concession and vending equipment are maintained to a high standard by keeping in regular contact with vendors for repairs where required and advising the Supervisor of Food & Beverage Services of any other maintenance issues.
- Ensure the cleanliness and appearance of all concession areas in accordance to City of Guelph, Sleeman Centre, and the Occupational Health & Safety Act standards.
- Oversee stock and maintain various vending machines found throughout the Sleeman Centre and various City owned buildings.
- Assist the Supervisor of Food and Beverage Service in the management and control of snacks, drinks and paper products, by using the Resort Inventory Software to perform such tasks as month-end and year-end inventory counts, waste tracking and invoice inputting.
- Liaise with suppliers and vendors as required; research new suppliers to stay current and competitive; stock all products and consumables, ensuring there are adequate products and supplies on hand at all times.
- Reconcile all concession inventory items for every event in all concession locations (Event Summary Reports) to account for inventory loss, reporting all discrepancies to the Supervisor of Food & Beverage
- Ensure all concession products are displayed and merchandised properly according to accepted planograms.
- Provide setup assistance and service support as required for all Sleeman Centre events.
- Assist the Supervisor of Food & Beverage Services with the development and implementation of anti-theft policies and procedures to safeguard all stock.
- Responsible for adhering to and enforcing rules/regulations including those from the Health & Safety Act to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all facility patrons and staff.
- Provide the highest level of customer service to both internal/external customers in a professional and hospitable manner.
- Collect vending deposits on a weekly basis.
- Perform other duties as required
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 6 to 12 months’ experience in a restaurant or concession environment dealing with the public. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing work direction and training of staff.
- Successfully completed Smart Service Training Program.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Ability to work co-operatively with other team members.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to communicate with public and all levels of staff.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Able to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, walking and standing for long periods of time).
- Reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimum supervision.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid First Aid/CPR and AED Certificate.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage events in a fast paced customer service environment and be readily acceptable to changing work priorities at any time.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Understanding of the needs of the hospitality industry, corporations, community groups and other potential clients.
- Familiarity with the management of different types of events (e.g. hockey games, concerts, receptions).
- Confidence in dealing with large numbers of people.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS, Liquor License Act of Ontario and Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, Ontario Building Code, Fire Code and other related codes.
- Retail inventory management experience is regarded as an asset
- Point of Sale (POS) system experience is regarded as an asset.
- Resort Inventory software experience is regarded as an asset.
- Food Handlers Certificate or equivalent recommended.
- Concession experience is regarded as an asset
$22.60 to $27.76
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday January 17, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.