The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for Public Works Supervisor within the Operations Department. Responsible for maintenance of Guelph’s roads and right of ways, boulevards, drainage/storm sewers, traffic signs and signals and the overall appearance of the Downtown Guelph Business Area. Reporting to the Manager of Public Works, this position will lead a dedicated team of employees, and focus on the delivery of high quality customer service and continuous improvement.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Hours of Work
35 hours per week. Rotating shifts during winter control (December to March) and participating in an on-call rotation is a requirement.
- Provides first-level supervisory oversight of field operations which includes staff scheduling, recruitment, training, development and performance for full time staff (plus additional seasonal staff during winter control operations)
- Provides visible and positive leadership to staff consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff
- Develops, schedules and coordinates weekly and seasonal work plans
- Ensures materials and equipment are available to execute work plans
- Responsible for roads and right of way infrastructure maintenance which includes the roadway network, boulevards (all curbs and sidewalks), storm water drainage system, non-capital maintenance of city owned parking facilities traffic signs and signals and downtown maintenance
- Monitors, documents and reports on actual attainments versus planned accomplishments and crew performance, ensuring all work is undertaken in a cost-effective and efficient manner, delivered on time, within budget and in compliance with established customer service standards
- Responsible for winter control operations (both roads and sidewalks) including; all personnel related management, seasonal staff recruitment, shift design, route design/modification, salt management plan, equipment management, materials inventory/storage/supply, contracted services, facility supervision, compliance with service level standards, customer service response, and hourly status reporting
- Responsible for quality control and work completion reporting for contractual services and supply
- Monitors and manages AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) reporting systems for quality control and program completion
- Responsible for specialized fleet of vehicles and equipment related to seasonal operations
- Coordination of operations with other stakeholders i.e. Police, Traffic, Fire, Transit, Waste Collection, By-law Enforcement, Planning, Development, and Engineering Services
- Identifies, resolves and reports on plan/process variances through a continuous improvement approach
- Responds to issues verbally and in writing regarding concerns from members of the general public, other staff, departments, and users of the systems, agencies and ministries
- Develops/implements policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures to ensure all work practices comply with applicable legislation, regulations and City of Guelph’s Health and Safety policies, as well other applicable City policies and procedures
- Ensures compliance with related regulatory requirements including, but not limited to, Road Patrol and M.M.S. (Minimum Maintenance Standard) Regulation 239/02
- Assists the Manager of Public Works with the investigation and resolution of third party claims
- Assists the Manager of Public Works with the development of the annual budget, variance reports and work plans
- Provides input to the establishment and refinement of infrastructure maintenance standards
- Liaises with suppliers, vendors and contracted services according to City’s purchasing by-law
- Assists with the development and award of service and supply tenders
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Considerable knowledge and experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through relevant training such as a Certified Road Supervisor designation with AORS or post secondary education in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field, and progressively responsible experience in construction and/or maintenance of municipal road & right of way infrastructure and winter control activities. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through experience supervising staff or leading work teams, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Valid Class ‘G’ driver’s licence with a good driving record (DZ driver’s licence would be preferred). Must obtain DZ driver’s licence within 6 months from date of hire. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in compliance processes related to the Province of Ontario, Minimum Maintenance Standard, Regulation 239/02
- Considerable knowledge and experience of related legislation including; MOE, MTO, MOECC, OTM Book-7, Occupier’s Liability Act
- Demonstrated work experience in Work Order Systems, GIS Software, and Financial Management Software.
- Knowledge of Signs and Signals installation and maintenance.
- Valid CPR and First Aid accreditation
$83,184.24 – $103,980.35
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday, August 2nd, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.