The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the summer position of Public Works Labourer. The successful candidate will demonstrate the necessary skills related to roads and boulevards maintenance work with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Perform and assist with duties related to maintenance and repair of asphalt, concrete, street furniture, traffic signs and traffic paint. Additional duties related to the maintenance of the City road allowance.
- Perform duties within the right of way and near traffic.
- Utilize hand tools, pressure washers and other power tools as required.
- Perform duties related to site maintenance and clean-up, including cleaning up of debris.
- Comply with all applicable regulations and requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related and unrelated duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3-6 months experience related to the duties listed above, particularly experience with road allowance repair and maintenance.
- A valid Class G or G2 drivers licence with two years driving experience and a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Possess excellent team and communication skills, and present a pleasant demeanor with the public.
- Excellent customer service skills with sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the job which includes walking, lifting, bending, kneeling, and standing for extended periods of time, in all types of weather (heat, rain, etc.).
Hours of work
This is a full-time, summer contract position working 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, between the hours of 6am-4pm (hours subject to change depending on weather).
$14.57 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday February 26, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.