The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This temporary position is responsible for project management of the City’s Comprehensive Zoning By-law Review. This position is required to coordinate and provide direction to the comprehensive zoning by-law review project and prepare a new Zoning By-law for the City of Guelph. Reporting to the Manager of Policy Planning and Urban Design, and guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will provide professional advice, guidance and direction and co-ordinate stakeholder engagement for the project while aiding in the achievement of the community vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provides overall project management of the comprehensive zoning by-law review project resulting in the presentation of a recommended new Zoning By-law to City Council for approval.
- Co-ordinates and directs internal staff teams and consultants and effectively manages project deliverables.
- Develops formal project documents including project charters and work plans.
- Conducts research, prepares background policy papers, develops recommendations and prepares reports and presentations.
- Co-ordinates and facilitates public consultation, stakeholder engagement and liaison in a positive and inclusive manner; including education, information and consultation.
- Builds effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the development community in order to advance the project.
- Prepares and oversees consultant contracts including managing the procurement process.
- Manages and monitors the project budget.
- Ensures all requirements of the Planning Act are met.
- Supports continuous improvement initiatives and the building partnerships mandate of the corporation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree in Urban and Regional Planning or related discipline and considerable senior level planning experience, preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in project management of zoning by-law reviews and/or the review of complex development applications and/or major policy projects.
- Full Membership in the Ontario Professional Planner’s Institute (OPPI) as a Registered Professional Planner.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Ability to give evidence related to complex planning studies before the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal, the former Ontario Municipal Board and similar tribunals.
- Knowledge and skills in the application and interpretation of the Planning Act and other relevant legislations, policies, guidelines and planning procedures.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and decision making skills.
- Ability to lead teams and influence, negotiate and mediate conflict and resolve issues.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams and consultants.
- Proficiency in facilitating effective community/stakeholder engagement.
- Ability to work effectively in both team situations and with minimal supervision
- Skilled in providing a solution oriented, customer service approach using good judgement, creativity and strategic thinking.
- Excellent oral, written and visual communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media, Council and the general public.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and Outlook).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- A Master’s degree in Planning or related discipline would be an asset.
$49.34-$61.68 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday August 30, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.