The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will participate in complex capital project teams to support the implementation and application of the Project Management Office (PMO) approved methodologies, tools and processes with City departments. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Support the definition, development and maintenance of a centralized framework, processes and tools for project and program management standards including risk identification, success measurement, escalation processes, decision making responsibilities and reporting.
- Participate in complex capital project teams to support the implementation and application of Project Management Office (PMO) approved methodologies, tools and processes within the project teams of City departments.
- Provide training, coaching, guidance and support to the City’s project managers in program and project training as well as facilitation support in the assessment of project risks and creation of project risk registers.
- Establish and maintain a knowledge repository of processes, tools, project information and lessons learned for critical corporate record retention.
- Develop a system to consolidate, report and administer project and program risk registers for critical knowledge sharing for future risk mitigation.
- Track and research best practices, trends, developments and advances in project and program management for potential application in the PMO and throughout City departments.
- Promote and advocate project management discipline within the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a university degree in Engineering, Architecture, Business Administration or a related field and experience in project management leading large construction projects from inception to implementation. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to research industry best practices and municipality benchmarking.
- Knowledge of risk management programs.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, theories and applications.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite including experience with project management systems such as Microsoft Project or similar software.
- Ability to set priorities, manage time and comply with deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Understanding and experience of record management systems is an asset.
- Adept in data management with advanced skills in data consolidation, analysis, interpretation, and report creation.
- Ability to work independently as well as with cross-functional team environment.
- Must possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence with a good driving record and access to a reliable vehicle. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
$37.07 – $46.34 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday June 3, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.