The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The City of Guelph currently has programs that it wishes to position for the purpose of achieving their economic development, brownfield redevelopment and downtown renewal objectives, as well as leveraging private sector investment (where appropriate). In support of these objectives, the City’s Business Development and Enterprise (BDE) department has been tasked by Guelph City Council to implement the following programs: Prosperity 2020 (the City’s current economic development strategy); the Downtown Secondary Plan; the Guelph Innovation District Secondary Plan as well as related complex business development projects.
Reporting to the General Manager, Business Development and Enterprise Services and working closely with staff from Facilities Management the successful candidate will bring excellent inter-personal and project management skills to oversee the planning, development and project management of these complex business development projects. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Prepare project parameters, pro formas and project schedules for approval by senior management; provide necessary updates as required.
- Retain and manage consultants in accordance with an approved pro forma and approved pre-development budget.
- Direct project consultants through planning and development processes bearing in mind project budget, desirability, market trends, and the target market for the specific projects.
- Manage development schedules including critical project milestone dates.
- In conjunction with Senior Staff, monitor construction documents phase for compliance with objectives and municipal permits.
- Provide members of the public with information regarding development projects and coordination of community consultative events.
- Maintain the overall development pro forma throughout the development process monitoring overall project cost and variances from budgets.
- Manage pre-development budgets and approve consultant invoices.
- Assist in the preparation and assessment of financing packages.
- Represent the BDE’s interest in meetings as the owner’s Project Manager.
- Act as BDE’s representative and liaise between consultants, clients and City departments in matters pertaining to projects program, design, construction and contracts.
- Oversee the implementation of capital projects on behalf of BDE, including: review of contracts with consultants, contractors etc. and recommend actions as appropriate; review of tenders and construction documents and obtain tenders; review of change orders, progress payment certificates, and invoices and recommend payment; review of construction to ascertain it is in general conformance with contract documents; review and maintain project cost data and issue monthly reports.
- Other duties as required.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a Degree or Diploma in business, engineering, architecture, planning or closely related discipline and considerable experience in a real estate business development or construction environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable project management experience delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Experience in managing complex real estate development and/or construction processes, including public/private partnerships.
- Experience with complex development contracts, including but not limited to cost sharing agreements.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with stakeholders including approving authorities, utility companies, consultants, architects and contractors.
- Knowledge of the approval processes relating to land use planning, real estate development and building construction.
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, deal with multiple deadlines and stakeholders, effectively handle stressful situations.
- High degree of professionalism and confidentiality when dealing with the public, business partners and/or elected officials.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook) and project management software such as MS Project.
- Project Management training/certificate such as a PMP designation is preferred.
$49.34-$61.68 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday June 16, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.