The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
This position is responsible for implementation of capital projects on behalf of the Wastewater Services Division. This temporary position is required to liaise within the division and throughout the organization, including Procurement, Engineering and Capital Infrastructure Services, Finance, as well as external Consultants and Contractors to effectively coordinate and deliver capital projects within the established schedule, budget and scope. Reporting to the Manager of Technical Services, and guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Manage a variety of professional engineering assignments in one or more specialized areas of municipal engineering involving wastewater collection systems and wastewater treatment infrastructure.
- Serve as project manager directing project teams and providing technical direction to ensure desired project performance objectives are met.
- Coordinate review of detail designs for engineering construction projects for wastewater facilities and other related work, including review of design calculations as required.
- Develops formal project documents including Project Charters, Schedules, Risk Registers, and Business Cases, amongst others, and ensures project management rigour consistent with protocols of the City’s Project Management Office and PMI.
- Completes financial reporting and co-ordinates project financial accounting including the processing of payment certificates and invoices.
- Engages stakeholders and the public where required through the design and construction process.
- Act as a resource to provide research, data, interpretation and recommendations based on sound professional engineering practices.
- Attend meetings with City staff, internal departments and external stakeholders as a representative of Guelph Wastewater Services.
- Assists with capital planning and supports the implementation of related capital upgrades and studies.
- Prepares contract documents and specifications, purchase orders/requisitions, requests for quotations, and tendering as required.
- Responsible for writing reports and memos for customers, staff, management, and Council as well as SOP’s, technical specifications, and work instructions.
- Ensure consultants, contractor and suppliers compliance with contract and corporate and MOL health and safety requirements
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree in Engineering or a related discipline and considerable experience in managing projects in a Wastewater operational environment i.e. Wastewater Treatment Plant or Wastewater Collection System preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience managing project scope, budget and meeting deadlines.
- A valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of all wastewater related project phases (including conceptual design, pre-design, detailed design, and construction administration).
- Excellent understanding of municipal wastewater infrastructure and process design.
- Ability to utilize PMI project management methodologies (PMBOK).
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Proficiency with contract management and vendor management practices in capital project settings.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of wastewater industry, municipal and provincial regulations related to wastewater treatment, collection, operation, maintenance, and environmental compliance.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and team-building skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Experience with project management software tools.
- Experience with GIS and AutoCAD would be an asset.
- PMP, PgMP or CAPM designation is an asset.
$41.55-$51.55 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, December 6, 2020. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.