The City of Guelph is a vibrant and diverse community with a unique sense of place located in southern Ontario along the Innovation Corridor that runs between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo. We are also one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities with a projected population increase from 135,000 people to almost 170,000 in the next 10 years. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
This position will focus heavily on asset management of Wastewater Collections infrastructure and on other environmental program within Wastewater Services. The successful candidate will report directly to the Manager of Technical Services and work closely with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the organization. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
- Responsible for Contract Administration of the City of Guelph’s Wastewater CCTV Inspections, Hydraulic Flushing and Cleaning Programming
- Connect with Corporate Asset Management to ensure the required data from the various sanitary programs is collected and shared as required
- Liaise with both internal stakeholders and external agencies to support and administer contract work on behalf of Wastewater Services
- Perform quality Assurance and quality control of all incoming project related material and data
- Perform structural and Hydraulic condition assessment of vertical and Linear infrastructure
- Develop recommended priority lists for Capital Repair, Open Cut Repair and Trenchless Rehabilitation
- Develop cost estimates for projects and programs
- Develop and collect key performance indicators in consultation with the Technical Services teams.
- Prepare and present program reports as necessary
- Support Technical Services with budget reporting and financial forecasting as it pertains to assigned projects.
- Develop and support Technical Services programming through good state of repair initiatives
- Conduct regular onsite field inspections
- Lead the City’s Sewer Abatement program in collaboration with the Environmental Protection team.
- Support the Environmental Protection team with the enhancement of existing and future programming.
- Ensure consultants, contractor and suppliers are compliant with contract specifications, corporate policies and MOL health and safety requirements
- Ensure compliance with OHSA requirements, corporate health & safety policies and contractor safety management.
- Attend meetings with City staff, internal departments and external stakeholders as a representative of Guelph Wastewater Services.
- Other duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a post- secondary degree in Civil or Environmental related discipline and considerable experience in managing projects in a Wastewater collections operational environment preferably in a municipal environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience managing project scope, budget and meeting deadliness.
- A valid Class G drivers’ licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement/
- Knowledge of all wastewater related project phases (including conceptual design, pre-design, detailed design, and construction administration).
- Excellent understanding of municipal wastewater infrastructure and process design.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Proficiency with contract management and vendor management practices in capital project settings.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of wastewater industry, municipal and provincial regulations related to wastewater treatment, collection, operation, maintenance, and environmental
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders, the media and the general public
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and team building skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Experience with project management software tools.
- Experience with GIS and AutoCAD would be an asset.
- PMP, PgMP or CAPM designation is an asset
- Wastewater Collections license Class 1 or greater considered an asset.
- OACETT Designation is an asset.
- NASSCO Certification is an asset
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday November 11, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.